Mastitis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friendlee

Reaction score
My doe has a 3 1/2 week old litter and yesterday I was petting her and found a hard mass under one of her teats! Prob the size of a gold ball? mastitis? I have massaged and have put heating pad on it hoping it will help? Any suggestions? She does seem to be feeding them still as their bellies were round this morning!

Hi, Friendlee! I am glad she was still feeding her kits yesterday! Sorry you are having this issue. Have you noticed any changes since you massaged and warmed the area? Does that lump seem to be painful to her when you touch it? Is it discolored at all? Is she eating and drinking normally?

I haven't dealt with an issue like that, so I can't help much... have you found anything helpful in the past threads here on RabbitTalk?

Seems to be the same! Not better or worse! She doesn’t seem to mind it when we pick her up and massage it but when in her cage she tries to get away. Yes eating and drinking normal and she is my only mama rabbit that I have watched feed her babies several times a day!
So many contradicting things on this topic 😫

Seems to be the same! Not better or worse! She doesn’t seem to mind it when we pick her up and massage it but when in her cage she tries to get away. Yes eating and drinking normal and she is my only mama rabbit that I have watched feed her babies several times a day!
So many contradicting things on this topic 😫

Yeah- when I researched it a while back for a doe that I thought may have had the beginning signs of mastitis, I thought the same thing. And some of the treatment options suggested are pretty dramatic!

Interesting that she is nursing so often. I wonder if she is overproducing milk and trying to get relief from the pressure by nursing? Are you feeding her anything in addition to her feed?

Interesting that she is nursing so often. I wonder if she is overproducing milk and trying to get relief from the pressure by nursing? Are you feeding her anything in addition to her feed?
Just feeding her hay, pellets and some kale or collards every now and again from the garden! I have been massaging her pretty hard and expressing milk seemed like I got it pretty good tonight! And they do not have any durapen or penicillin at any of the local stores even if I wanted! Def not getting worse so hopefully that’s a good sign 🤷🏻‍♀️ We’ll see tomorrow if she looks any better from what I did tonight! She did have 8 babies she is feeding so maybe that’s why she’s freezing so much? She birthed 10 and one died shortly after and than one died at 3 1/2 weeks! The one at 3 1/2 weeks was surprising to me and had me baffled as it was looking healthy all along! But still feeding 8 babies on 5 teats is my guess!

Back