Mastitis prevention

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG3

Reaction score
I’m wondering what the general practice is for mastitis prevention. The farm I got my rabbits from, the owner said to cut the does feed in half before kindling and then after she kindles to put her feed back up, to prevent mastitis. This sounds odd to me, LOL. Why would I starve her right before having babies and when she needs to start producing milk. But maybe I’m naive 🤷🏼‍♀️

Other things I’ve read is to keep feeding the doe her normal amount from before breeding, after breeding, through pregnancy and right through to kindle, then when the kits are 10 days old double the feed and this will prevent mastitis.

What say you all? What’s your Practice?

Clean cages make sure there no manure piling up would be a start..idk if milk fever is a thing for rabbits but I'd keep her feed the same maybe feed her more on kindling day (also less chance of her eating kits if she's full 🤔) then I kind of wing it for feed and follow the whole if she's scratching the feeder when you come back the next day give her a little more feed idea. Mastitis to my knowledge happens when bacteria enters the tit so try to keep the cage floor clean. Also if they do get mastitis maybe just get rid of her because you don't want future generations prone to it

Mastitis is caused by bacteria, so if a teat gets scratched it can open up the possibility for bacteria. Cleanliness is the most important thing. I don't think the amount of feed has much to do with it. Cabbage is a natural mastitis treatment, if you can figure out a way to keep it on the area without her eating it lol. Just check for red, swollen areas.

Actually, one of the things telling me that it can't be more than 1-2 days anymore when I notice the doe'S eating less than usual. Which seems understandable to me that they don't feel like stuffing their bellies at this point.

Never did anything about or had any problems with matitis, didn't occure in 10 years. My rabbits have a rather unusual lifestyl though, spend a lot of the time outside grazing, digging, doing rabbit stuff.
Hutches have wooden slat floors now (appr. 1" slats, wire is a rather big No-No over here), when I started they were solid wood and quite messy.

Latest posts

Back