Mastitis and penicillin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friendlee

Reaction score
So I have a doe who has mastitis! Knot like lump under one of her teats! Ended up taking the babies away (5 weeks and doing good on own). I purchased some penicillin from tractor supply and have given her 2 doses already! I do not see very much change in knot ? Should I see it this soon? When I express milk out of it it’s pretty milky looking! Spot is prob a golf ball size five or take! Any suggestions! And do I give penicillin for 3 or 4 days straight?

Cabbage leaves work on women and my cat when she had it but she didn’t eat greens like that so I fear that may not be helpful , warm compress and penicillin works great! But takes time (usually within a week u will notice change) and 2 doses daily one in morning one at night

Great not letting kits feed , and you said their doing well on their own so 👍👍

keep updated ❤️

Idk about massaging or trying to express milk - I know you want to help the blockage but may agitate the tissue and cause to swell more just a thought I’m not too sure

Idk for rabbits, but for humans they say to nurse through mastitis so it keeps ducts from blocking. You may want to look into something you can give to help her milk dry up naturally. Like peppermint, lemon balm, oregano.

Idk for rabbits, but for humans they say to nurse through mastitis so it keeps ducts from blocking. You may want to look into something you can give to help her milk dry up naturally. Like peppermint, lemon balm, oregano.
I have been giving her some peppermint! I left kits with her at first but one died 😫 so decided to take them out!

Cabbage leaves work on women and my cat when she had it but she didn’t eat greens like that so I fear that may not be helpful , warm compress and penicillin works great! But takes time (usually within a week u will notice change) and 2 doses daily one in morning one at night

Great not letting kits feed , and you said their doing well on their own so 👍👍

keep updated ❤️
How many days do you do this for? Currently i have done one shot for 4 days? Such contradicting stuff online about it 🤦🏻‍♀️ I feel like it is getting a little better but definitely still there!

Oh, that is sad to lose one. Maybe a heating pad for instead of massage? Or warmed up rice packs. I was going to say a warm compress, but getting her wet is prob not good. 😬

Last edited:
How many days do you do this for? Currently i have done one shot for 4 days? Such contradicting stuff online about it 🤦🏻‍♀️ I feel like it is getting a little better but definitely still there!
My cat was treated for 1 whole week - we used penicillin we had from my dog (made sure it wasn’t expired for full best effectiveness) dosed according to weight - and of course it was a cat not a rabbit - I’m assuming you are also dosing according to weight? (I’ve asked her for a dose chart by weight from her veterinarian and I’m going to get one from my personal one - I like to double check data - and I will post here hopefully tomorrow 🙏)

my sister works as a vet assistant (she aids in surgeries and administering meds) she said sometimes may take longer depends on each animal - should be 100% gone by second week ! As long as you keep administering twice daily(morning/night)

she said if not seek medical attention as it may not be mastitis 🤞 I hope it is and she will recover perfectly fine!

keeping kits away will help dry up faster ^^ . But rabbits have very good hearing - and if you ever breast fed your own kids you may know - sometimes your boobs leak when their crying - natural body instincts - and the same will happen with any mama regardless of species (it’s not all the time or with everyone) so just try to make sure she can’t hear them - just in case - as it will prolong the milk production

My cat was treated for 1 whole week - we used penicillin we had from my dog (made sure it wasn’t expired for full best effectiveness) dosed according to weight - and of course it was a cat not a rabbit - I’m assuming you are also dosing according to weight? (I’ve asked her for a dose chart by weight from her veterinarian and I’m going to get one from my personal one - I like to double check data - and I will post here hopefully tomorrow 🙏)

my sister works as a vet assistant (she aids in surgeries and administering meds) she said sometimes may take longer depends on each animal - should be 100% gone by second week ! As long as you keep administering twice daily(morning/night)

she said if not seek medical attention as it may not be mastitis 🤞 I hope it is and she will recover perfectly fine!

keeping kits away will help dry up faster ^^ . But rabbits have very good hearing - and if you ever breast fed your own kids you may know - sometimes your boobs leak when their crying - natural body instincts - and the same will happen with any mama regardless of species (it’s not all the time or with everyone) so just try to make sure she can’t hear them - just in case - as it will prolong the milk production
What I have read says .1ml per pound! She weighs around 8 pounds right now so have been giving her .8 ml! It does seem to be getting smaller but def not gone.

Attachments

• A29CABED-404C-4BB3-8116-EAA6C535D2C3.jpeg
    A29CABED-404C-4BB3-8116-EAA6C535D2C3.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 5
This is what she looks like now! Was a solid lump but is kinda marble feeling now! So maybe breaking up? Unfortunately we do not have any vets around here that will take rabbits 😫

Back