Marketing Angora Fiber

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeden

Reaction score
Ok, I just went through all 9 pages of posts on here and my question is pretty specific :)

I have four French Angoras. I'm not new to raising rabbits (I do meat rabbits and show rabbits), so it seemed natural to also explore the wool aspect of rabbits!

I'm very interested in raising Angoras to market the fiber. Since I don't actively knit/spin, a lot of terminology is vague to me so I'm still learning. It seems like a lot of people that do raise Angoras also use the fiber however, so I was curious if anyone else like me raising rabbits and maybe goes to only the extent of spinning and/or simply sells the raw fiber as is?

If so, how does one go about marketing angora fiber?
I have a few people I know of that are involved with fiber here but it's with alpacas.
If I were to sell angora fiber locally, what do you feel is the best way to sell it? In bags? As spoons of wool? Dyed or natural colored?

Also, does anyone know if it's really possible to profit well off of it is it something where people more or less sell angora as a hobby? I wasn't sure how strong the demand is for angora since we do import so much of it from China.

Thanks for any input!

First of all, hello fellow lover of French Angoras!

I have noticed that it is much easier to sell finished yarn than it is to sell raw fiber. I think it may be because many people who spin own their own fiber animals, or vise versa. That's not to say that you will never sell raw fiber. I have a few people on Etsy that are always waiting for my French Angora wool, but I don't sell a whole lot just because I'm greedy and keep it for myself. ;)

I think the best way to sell it is by the ounce, which I think is the most common. Angora can sell for $5-15 an ounce. I don't know why there is such a large range in price... it's just what I've seen. I sell mine for $7 an ounce and I think that is very reasonable.

Profit? What is profit?! :D you would have to figure out the costs of feed, housing, care for your rabbits before thinking about profit. That dollar amount is going to be different for each of us, but I wouldn't count on much of a profit.

SarahMelisse":2inp85hd said:
First of all, hello fellow lover of French Angoras!

I have noticed that it is much easier to sell finished yarn than it is to sell raw fiber. I think it may be because many people who spin own their own fiber animals, or vise versa. That's not to say that you will never sell raw fiber. I have a few people on Etsy that are always waiting for my French Angora wool, but I don't sell a whole lot just because I'm greedy and keep it for myself. ;)

Thank you so much for the response! :bunnyhop:
That's really helpful :D

I love my Frenchies...the underdogs of Angoras, perhaps? ;)

I agree. I don't sell much because there never seems to be enough here. Etsy and a few FB groups are good for selling raw, to spinners, but you open your market wider by selling spun, pure and blended, in white and natural colors works equally well.
Profit is not that great. Angora is an expensive wool, a luxury, and large quantities aren't necessary, so you don't get people making large orders by the pound like the other wools. I spun a 4 oz skein of 75/25 Alpaca/Angora, and probably could have used less than an ounce, the Angora pretty much took over.

wildeden":34mp0ew0 said:
I'm very interested in raising Angoras to market the fiber. Since I don't actively knit/spin, a lot of terminology is vague to me so I'm still learning. It seems like a lot of people that do raise Angoras also use the fiber however, so I was curious if anyone else like me raising rabbits and maybe goes to only the extent of spinning and/or simply sells the raw fiber as is?

If so, how does one go about marketing angora fiber?
I have a few people I know of that are involved with fiber here but it's with alpacas.
If I were to sell angora fiber locally, what do you feel is the best way to sell it? In bags? As spoons of wool? Dyed or natural colored?

Also, does anyone know if it's really possible to profit well off of it is it something where people more or less sell angora as a hobby? I wasn't sure how strong the demand is for angora since we do import so much of it from China.

Thanks for any input!

I haven't visited Ravelry much since March/April, when things went downhill in general here at the house. However, at that point I was very active in some spinning and some weaving groups on Ravelry.com. If you're not familiar with Ravelry and you're interested in selling fiber, it might be worthwhile to take a look. (NOTE: Definitely take the offered "tour" of Ravelry; navigation is very complex.) Agreed that many spinners own fiber animals, but many others don't have access to fiber animals and must buy fiber themselves, e.g., sheep fleeces, X oz. of washed fleece, X oz. of angora, etc.

Offer it by the ounce. I've paid as much as $18/oz. for Angora--however!--it was Angora roving, not just any old fiber as it came off the bunny. Spinners also like those tufts to be lined up on tissue paper (you might find some photos on Etsy.com). A more normal price, at least in northern California, is approx. $8 or $9/oz for English or French Angora.

If you don't spin but would like to sell to spinners, it would be a good idea (IMHO) to visit a spinning class, spinning-supply store, or interview a spinning instructor in your area. This would give you an idea about dyed vs. undyed (personally, I prefer undyed; many spinners/knitters/fiber artists prefer dyeing their own fiber) and help you become familiar with the terminology used in spinning. I didn't know "combed top," "roving," or even "fiber" versus "yarn" before I took a spinning lesson a year and a half ago! :)

And fair is fair: what is a "spoon of wool"? I'm not familiar with that term.

I hope you can cover your costs and maybe even come out a little ahead.

P.S. Noticed you're in Maine. If you're anywhere near Bath, Maine, visit (in person) Halcyon Yarn, 12 School Street, Bath 04530; (800) 341-0282, halcyonyarn.com. They offer classes and sell spinning supplies; they'd be *perfect* to introduce you to spinning terminology. In their Yarn Catalogue XIII (2011), they offered Angora fiber (breed unspecified) at $7.86/oz, $1 lb+ $102.20, 5 lb+ $88.10. Heaven only knows whether you could make anything at all selling to them at wholesale; probably best to use them as a source of education and market directly if possible. :)

I sell my clean plucked/combed satin fiber for 10.00/oz. English is 8.00 oz sheared, 15.00/oz plucked, or over 6" in length. If I was to line pluck and tissue the Satin, I'd sell it for 15-20.00 depending on length and quality. Typically as soon as I list it, I sell it through my site, and I have a waiting list.

DogCatMom":q8b3k4kd said:
I haven't visited Ravelry much since March/April, when things went downhill in general here at the house. However, at that point I was very active in some spinning and some weaving groups on Ravelry.com. If you're not familiar with Ravelry and you're interested in selling fiber, it might be worthwhile to take a look. (NOTE: Definitely take the offered "tour" of Ravelry; navigation is very complex.) Agreed that many spinners own fiber animals, but many others don't have access to fiber animals and must buy fiber themselves, e.g., sheep fleeces, X oz. of washed fleece, X oz. of angora, etc.

And fair is fair: what is a "spoon of wool"? I'm not familiar with that term.

I hope you can cover your costs and maybe even come out a little ahead.

P.S. Noticed you're in Maine. If you're anywhere near Bath, Maine, visit (in person) Halcyon Yarn, 12 School Street, Bath 04530; (800) 341-0282, halcyonyarn.com. They offer classes and sell spinning supplies; they'd be *perfect* to introduce you to spinning terminology. In their Yarn Catalogue XIII (2011), they offered Angora fiber (breed unspecified) at $7.86/oz, $1 lb+ $102.20, 5 lb+ $88.10. Heaven only knows whether you could make anything at all selling to them at wholesale; probably best to use them as a source of education and market directly if possible. :)

I meant spool of wool, hahaha typo!

Thanks for the info about the classes in Maine! That's super helpful and I am going to go check them out :) They seem like they'd make an excellent resource for me! I think I would really benefit from taking a class, that's a great idea.

I joined Ravelry a few years ago when I was attempting knitting a baby blanket. I will try to figure out my login info and take a peek at it again! I had really enjoyed the format of the website and it didn't occur to me to look at it in terms of Angora.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":rz98xudq said:
sky,,, I am going to be doing some alpaca wool that I want to mix in with my angora rabbit .. so 25 angora is to much?

It was too much. The Angora completely took over, and I felt like I was spinning pure Angora. I was trying to extend the amount I have and make spinning easier, , it did not work, lol. I have not used it, so I don't know how much bloom it will have, but I was advised by the bunny spinners group to try 15% next time.<br /><br />__________ Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:52 pm __________<br /><br />
Oceanrose":rz98xudq said:
Typically as soon as I list it, I sell it through my site, and I have a waiting list.

I know, I tried a while ago, and you were sold out. Your buns were just so cute, I took the plunge and had to get some :).

I'm listing some this week ;) I just need to go through and figure out what I have/how much and price it all. I was going to wait, as we're opening a yarn/fiber shop, but figured a little extra cash for bunny cages is handy right now.

Latest posts

Back