Mariano

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
Hi,
I raise rabbits and other animals and for the control of wild rodents keep barn cats. One of our cats gave birth to two kittens about 2 months ago one of the kittens was stillborn the other was doing great until NOW! He and his mom had been wondering around the property and went missing for about a week we finally found them today and poor Mariano is covered in fleas and very weak ( mom is doing ok she has no fleas and is in good health). I am really worried for him I will call a vet but for now any recommendations on what to feed him and rid the fleas. TIA.

Wash him if you can in dawn soap. The fleas will try to go to his head so soap around his neck first. I’d hold off on flea and tick medicine until he’s healthy (it’s a poison and can have ill effects on weak and sick animals).keep him warm and use a heating pad to help him maintain his heat. If you have pedialyte(plain) give him some of that slowly with a syringe (I like to do whipping cream with water and apple sauce/sugar). You can check his hydration by tenting his skin And if it goes down quickly then he is hydrated if the skin goes down slowly then he is de hydrated and he needs fluids. I would give chicken liver to sick kittens. Chicken liver is high in folic acid and vitamin A and helps them when they are sick. I grew up taking care of sick kittens on my grandparents farm. I hope your kitten is doing well !

Last edited:
Aw I’m sorry for your loss :( did the vet know what was wrong?

Back