Making Rabbit Fur Felt

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Over on HT, Pat Lamar mentioned in passing that fryer pelts used to go for felt... for hats mainly, I gather. I know we've mentioned fur felt at some point in the past, but thought it might be time to bring the topic round again.

Has anyone done this? I'm thinking it might be a good use for fryer pelts, since they are often not much good for tanning. Rabbit felt slippers... they'd be toasty warm.

A few random links:

http://www.felthats.com/hats_info/making_felt.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/statelibra ... 544662810/

http://www.getcrafty.com/blogs.php?user ... entry=4560

I wish I had input!

I am not a huge fan of felt but I like felting--leading to a lot of unfinished projects I am afraid. I think I would be concerned about the short staple (hair length) of rabbit fur for home felting. Machines and chemicals can make magic results where hands and hot water fail.

However, I may have inadvertantly felted the neck edge of one of the pelts I am currently trying to tan just by handling it too roughly while it was wet...so maybe it isn't as hard as I think?

Interesting! I wonder how you could do it at home with fryer pelts. Would you just shave the pelt? The first link said that a machine took the skin off so precisely that the removed fur kept the shape of the hide.

I have seen that happen shearing fleece from a sheep, I think it could be done if you tacked the hide to a flat board and used nice sharp clippers

looks like one would have to skirt out the guard hairs, a real undertaking for those of us with normal coated rabbits. The angora raisers could just harvest naturally. the article states the guard hair is removed, and the undercoat is used-- the part spinners use////

I don't think I'd do it with what little fur I'd get with my fryers... however I just eyed up my dog (newfie/border collie cross) and sized him up for the black wool cape I've always wanted... wow, that would be a LOT of hair... but I bet one years worth of blown coat would do it.
Oh, goodness, do I NEED another hobby?

You know, for something that labour intensive, I'd HAVE to name the garment...<br /><br />__________ Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:56 am __________<br /><br />You know, for something that labour intensive, I'd HAVE to name the garment...

I wonder if you could chemically remove the fur from the skin? Won't improper handling cause the fur to slip off, anyway, in the tanning process? Does that handling ruin the fur itself in anyway?<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:14 pm __________<br /><br />Also, fryer pelts have a softer, downier texture than an adult coat with full developed guard hairs, anyway. I doubt you would have to do much to it. Rex fryer pelts would be ideal.

Latest posts

Back