Luna's mastisis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyKarli

Reaction score
So she is feeling much better. Eating, drinking & back to trying to bite my face off. Her breasts are still large & hard though. Should I give her another week of antibiotics or let her be? It has been a week since her last shot.<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:07 am __________<br /><br />I really need help with this. Her breasts are hard. She can lay on them & is drinking & eating okay. She is acting normal but her breasts are still HUGE! should I give her more antibiotics? Should I cull her if she won't get better? Should she ever be bred again or will this just happen again??

I wish I could help you with this, but I have no experience with mastitis, Warm compresses and expressing the milk may help. I'd be inclined to give her another course of antibiotics, but I'm hoping someone who has been through this with a doe will speak up.

There have been several threads about masitis over the past six months. Maybe you can find some information there if you search. Here's a couple:

little-mama-has-mastitis-t6496.html?hilit=mastitis

post31907.html?hilit=mastitis#p31907

I love Luna but if I even try to touch her she is ready to bite. She was abused before I got her & will not let me near her. In fact that is how I knew She was sick. She stopped trying to bite my face off. She is back to her healthy Mom attacking ways. eating & drinking & wanting her hay & daily grass treat so I guess I will just pray the swelling goes down! Nothing more I can do without taking my life in my own hands LOL. Even giving her more shots is risky.

If her mammaries are hard, then they are either full of caked milk or hardened pus. If it IS pus, it will eventually either break open and drain or she will get very sick and die. She may die either way. If it is ALL her teats, I don't think I would bother...we are still working on Little Mama...I ended up actually lancing and draining and excising the chunks of hardened Yuck from her chest (with the help of some local anesthetic) She was very good and tolerated it well. Her chest is all healed up, but now she has a terrible sore hock from being in the transport cage for two weeks...ugh!

Latest posts

Back