Low carb rabbit spaghetti

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This was something I threw together for lunch since the kids were hollering they were hungry and I didn't have much thawed. I had a 1lb package of rabbit breakfast sausage that I had made up but we didn't like the flavor so I figured it would be good in the spaghetti sauce (it was).

This was the original recipe for the spaghetti sauce. http://www.food.com/recipe/bevs-spaghetti-sauce-26217

This was how I made it.

1lb rabbit sausage
2 15oz cans tomato sauce
1 large onion
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp fresh basil
1 t dried oregano
1 t italian seasoning

NOTE: I used sam's choice tomato sauce which I think is a bit on the salty side. So I didn't add any salt.

Cook the rabbit sausage in olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and saute until done. Then add the rest of the ingredients. The original recipe says to cook for 1 hr 30min but I was in a hurry so just simmered for about 10 min.

I then took 2 medium(ish) summer squash (one for me and one for hubby) cut them into stripes and cooked them in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes. Smothered them with grated cheese and cooked 30 more seconds. I then just poured the spaghetti sauce over the squash like you would noodles.

I didn't have any spaghetti squash so I just tried this and really liked it. I will be doing this again. The kids had regular noodles with their spaghetti sauce so everyone was happy. The kids all had seconds. :D

1 med yellow squash has only about 4.8 net carbs. The entire sauce recipe has under 40 net carbs and it makes quite alot.

So I read the title of this post "Low carb rabbit spaghetti' and was wondering why you'd want to feed rabbits low carb spaghetti? I don't think bunnies care about low carbs. Bwahahaha! Guess it makes much more sense now that I've seen the post.

I keep thinking I should have a side line of meat rabbits although the fuzzy bunnies here (English angoras) seem to fill up all the available hutch space. Around here there really isn't any way to get rabbit for dinner unless they're home grown and with the fuzzy rabbits, they seem to grow slower than the meat breeds so by the time they're big enough to eat, they're not tender anymore.

Back