Lost entire litter, when to re-breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noblegarden

Reaction score
My NZR just lost her entire litter of 9 kits. It was her first time, she had 8 in nest box and one on the wire -but didn't pull any fur so they froze. I tried warming them up, only 3 came to, but 2 ended up passing away. I kept the last kit inside and was hand feeding it - but tonight (4th night) it just died. I have no idea what happened. I have never lost any kits, let alone an entire litter. :cry:
I'm slightly scared to re-breed her, and all my good momma does are due in two weeks - so they can't foster for the NZR. Do I wait until they all line up so they can foster for her? Or I could breed her and another first timer at the same time - but if SHTF I'll have no back up. Or do I just re-breed and hope for the best? She is 9 months old

I would personally wait till I have a seasoned doe I could breed with her. That way if need be you will have a foster if the worst should come to pass. If not able to use a seasoned doe then I would at least breed her with another doe. Some first timers will surprise you.

The doe mostly got it right and I would re-breed now as the problem was freezing which having a second doe on hand wouldn't help with anyway :shrug:

I would suggest you collect a bunch of her fur and put it in her next box a couple days before she's due so if she fails to pull fur again the kits will be ok.

I have a doe who pulls fur after the kits are born which isn't a problem in the summer but once the cold weather moves in I must remember to put spare fur in her box or loose the litter to the cold.

Ideally, I would breed her with a seasoned doe or two as Sagebrush said, but Zass is right in that she got it mostly right... so I wouldn't be too worried about the next litter.

You can gather some fur from the nests of your other does if they have pulled a lot. I have never had any trouble transferring fur from one Rex nest to another, but my friend who has Satins says that her does wont tolerate it, so I have yet to try it with my own Satins. Most of the time you can manually pull fur from the doe herself anyway and use her own fur.

Other alternative nesting materials are dryer lint, pulled cotton balls, or feathers- although I personally have never tried using any of those.

The nestbox heater that Silver Cloud linked to is a good thing to have on hand. I have a similar one that I bought from BASS equipment (mine is all metal) and I have used it a few times in the winter when it is in the twenties or teens here for the first couple of days after a litter is born.

I'm sorry you lost the entire litter. :( Better luck next time. :clover:

Zass":2dbtpetv said:
What was I right about, MSD? :shock:
:p

That the doe got it mostly right- had all but one in the nest, she just didn't pull fur.

Oh! 'cept it wasn't you, it was Dood! :oops: :oops: :oops:

:coffeebath: I haven't yet had my customary vat of coffee!

You should feel honored- or maybe creeped out!- because this just goes to show you that...

:choir: You are always on my mi-i-ind :choir:

:choir: You are always on my mind! :choir:

No offense to Dood- I wuv you, too!- but you should be relieved (very relieved) that I am not singing to you. ;)

Dood":2f91yz28 said:
I have a doe who pulls fur after the kits are born which isn't a problem in the summer but once the cold weather moves in I must remember to put spare fur in her box or loose the litter to the cold.

Sounds exactly like what she did. I discovered them about 7am, tucked them under my shirt and went inside. About 8:30am I wend out to finish doing my rounds. Her cage was full of fur, she looked completely confused :( poor thing continued pulling fur the rest of the day. I will save her fur for next time.

Thank you guys for your advice, I suppose it's all a part of getting to know the herd. I have been going in circles on what to do for a few days lol - you've put my mind at ease :) I will check into the heater too, thanks Silver Cloud!

Chances are, she will do everything in the proper order next time. But if not, it'll be good to watch her close and have that fur ready!

Hand feeding newborns rarely goes well. That first colostrum is really important.

So long as you had a healthy doe, it might have been easier to take the kit to her twice a day to nurse instead of feeding any kind of formula. Don't stress about it though. Hand raising a singleton newborn rabbit is probably one of the most difficult things I can think of. There really isn't any way that guarantees success.

You gave it the best chance you could, and I'm sorry you lost it. :(

MamaSheepdog":1r956qv4 said:
:choir: You are always on my mi-i-ind :choir:

:choir: You are always on my mind! :choir:

Cool, another wabbit and Willie fan!!! Nice to know that there are other folks that appreciate real music ... but change "are" to "were". :D

I would rebreed her immediately,
it is not the kindling that takes the tole on the Dam.
It is raising the litter to weaning.
you have to allow for a learning curve on an inexperienced Doe.
I give all of my Does: Three strikes before they are OUT!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I agree with ottersatin I think the doe will do better if you breed her back right away. I have only had a doe loose a litter once and rebread her right away only waited like two days. She was acting all depressed. But right after the breed she perked up back to her old self and delivered a nice litter. :D

Latest posts

Back