Loose Minerals Vs Mineral Wheels

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteWingRabbitry

Reaction score
I've used the mineral wheels, but have seen the loose minerals (horse/livestock) at the feed store and have wondered if this might be a good alternative, that won't rust my cages. Does anyone use this? I was thinking it could be sprinkled lightly on the fodder when it is fed.

I would use loose as opposed to blocks, if only due to the summer humidity and the potential for rust.

I just wasn't sure if it was adequate since it's not "for rabbits", since not all animals have the same requirements. I know the rust. :p Just one summer and I'm going to have to replace door wire next year. Didn't have nearly this issue back in UT.

I think a lot of folks use loose goat minerals and have not had problems.

And changing door wire after one year?? EEK. What are you using? My older cages have the inexpensive Tractor Supply rabbit wire, and after three years, I have not had to replace any parts.

Ok.

I don't have to replace it now, but probably will by summer. It's the 1/2x1/2. It's had the mineral wheels sitting up against it through all the humidity and storms. I swear there's more wearing off from weather than from the rabbits. I think it's 18g, so it won't take much to get it to a point where it could be gotten through. I will probably use the heavier 16g stuff when I replace it.
156053_644433658985448_6960132077079896406_n.jpg

Those hard brown wheels or livestock blocks are nearly all salt with hardly any useful minerals. I used soft horse mineral blocks in the colony which are truly a mix of minerals instead of all sodium. Rabbits don't sweat so they don't have a great use for extra salt. Loose minerals for goats or horses work if you don't want to chip off one of the soft mineral blocks. Because salt does encourage water intake mine do also have a salt block but they have an option to get minerals without the salt and the blocks are himalayan salt which is a naturally mined rock salt. It is 5% minerals on average with 10 different minerals having been tested in samples of the pink version. There is also a black version. My 2lb blocks that will probably outlast every small animal I own only cost as much as a couple of those manufactured trace mineral salt wheels. When I licked the himalayan salt I could taste things like iron in the block. It's an even stronger taste than sea salt. I've wondered what it would taste like on my own food.

The wheels meant for rabbits? I don't use the livestock ones.

The himalayan salts have been used in cooking by lots of people. Some people pay extra for it.

http://www.saltminearium.com/salt_store6

This website has some small ones for a really good price.
I'll have to re-wire them, as rabbits will chew right through the cords they come with.
I'm currently waiting for them to respond to an e-mail.

I have yet to tell them that I'm going to be reviewing their service and product for 100's of rabbit raisers to see... :twisted:

Mine leave cotton rope alone but natural brown fiber rope the does like to put in the nest. :lol: I have to restring the 3 I got with brown rope.

Latest posts

Back