Looking for Tips on Tatooing with the pen

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used the clamp for years with my goats and with rabbits when I had them many years ago pre-pen era.
This time I broke out the ole kit and even bought a used set on ebay for the extra numbers.
I did my first few litters with the clamp and the tattoos were "OK" but not dazzling :(

Then I SAW the results of what a pen tattoo looked like and decided to get one of them.
So that's what I got for my anniversary this year, a tattoo pen... we animal-types are So romantic :)

Well the tattoos that I have done with cooperative rabbits have been pretty good but the squirmy ones...well, they look like Jackson Pollock was practicing on my rabbits.

I put the rabbit in a sleeve and try to squash its head against my chest. I roll the ear back over my index finger and then I try to work carefully.
But one jump from the bunny takes that nice black ink all over the ear.

Any tips from more successful tattoo artists would be appreciated.

it takes two of us to do rabbits with the pen. ( sad cuz i could clamp by myself) But DH holds and i write ( or more likely scribble...)
Other than an extra person... and lots of practicing on meat bunnies... i do not have a lot of help to offer....

i've done pen tatts, they are really nice. i usually have someone hold the bun in a towel wrap while i tattoo. i've used orajel on the ears but it seems to make them more sensitive. ice behind the ear works really well though. the first ones i did i did upside down XD thats so something i would do, but i got a few of them right side up and i know for next time. also, if they look bad, its okay, they are easy to touch up.

The ice is a good idea. I have 3 litters that need to be done, so I will try that. I am also going to do some with the clamp and use the ink I got with my pen- it may be that the ink that came with the clamp set wasn't fresh enough.

Try rubbing the ear clean with alcohol first, let it dry, put extra strength oragel on it and let it sit for 10 mins or so. If you do a batch start at one end of the group and go through, by the time you have all the ears cleaned and gelled the first one should be rather numb. Ice held onto the ear for a bit can help as well, slows blood flow as well as less sensitive. Doing tats in the early morning or late evening when its the coolest can help a bit with that but I've found the ice and gel does great. I've also mixed a bit of the gel in with the ink with good results :)

Great system, SMR! Very streamlined. I always clean with alcohol too, and come to think of it, we have done all of our tats outside, in cool to cold weather, except for this last litter of kits that we brought inside where it was nice and toasty from our fire. They were very reactive, whereas the ones done where it was cold didn't care at all. I'll get some Oragel too... anything to make them sit quietly!

caroline":1bxz01c0 said:
Then I SAW the results of what a pen tattoo looked like and decided to get one of them.
So that's what I got for my anniversary this year, a tattoo pen... we animal-types are So romantic :)

It's true... I (happily) got two Naked-Neck Turken chickens for Valentine's Day.<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:18 pm __________<br /><br />The breeder I got my rabbits from used the tattoo pen and not a month later the tattoos have completely disappeared. I'm not sure what happened since I was not the one to do them, but maybe be sure to use really good ink and tattoo deep enough to count. Just a thought.

We have a tattoo shop just a few blocks from us and my neighbor said he was sure the owner of the shop would be happy to come to the house to tattoo for me :lol: I would love to do it myself, but I just don't have the funds for either the clamp or a pen just now ... one day soon, though :D

I bought some Orajel yesterday. Actually, to be precise, some "Oral Anesthetic Gel", but I had to share something that I found amusing. "Orajel" had several varieties, regular, extra strength, and Maximum Relief, with progressively fancier packaging, and escalating prices... but all had 20% Benzocaine, which is the active ingredient! :lol:

I thought it was funny... but maybe you had to be there.

lol that is funny :) i'd like to see photos of everyone's tattoos when they're done :) i've seen pen tatts with beautifully clean lines, like someone just took a sharpie to their ears. i've yet to achieve that mastery. :p

A lot depends upon the rabbit you're trying to tattoo. Some just sit their and take it, while others jerk from the get go. Those that just sit, I can do pretty good with. Those that jerk, well, the judge might have to put their glasses on, pass the rabbit to the writer for their opinion, or come close enough the writer corrects any mis-ques.<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:33 pm __________<br /><br />As far as orajel - it didn't even slow mine down. He jerked just as bad with as without..

Latest posts

Back