Looking back over the year

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olbunny

Reaction score
I was sitting n thinking about the past year raising rabbits. We hadn't raised meat rabbits since we homeschooled our kids. And they were the ones who convinced me to do it again. Couldn't find the stock I wanted the first year. Then found our 3 black New Zealand does n Californian buck as 8 week old kits. So we raised them a year before we could start breeding. Along the way our daughter caught a drop off. Beautiful little mid sized doe. Copper short hairs under black. I don't know the breed.
Merida was fabulous. Averaging 9 kits and never lost 1. And has a wonderful attitude. Keeps her pen spotless. Doesn't mess her box. Accepts orphans. She raised 11 once. Anna did ok but was culled as she had problems birthing. Only doe that didn't get pregnant but only once. Elsa did pretty good and finished out as a great doe. Yeetka the stray lost her first litter of 3. Over stressed I believe so kinda my fault. I'll own it. But had 3 more litters averaging 8. So it would appear our buck reddy was ready. He services our 4 does well. We breed our does a day apart. Usually 3 fall offs within 5-6 minutes. I do properly position our does and once in place usually stay put.
Bottom line. Beyond birthing issues. Any kit that was born n lived beyond a day. Made it. Except for 1 lost from cold weather. 1 accident.
We successfully raised 130 friers averaging 2-1/2# at 12 weeks. In our first year producing. At average cost of 3.50 pound. And can barter for halibut salmon caribou moose n such. So different protiens. And including our rabbits , steroid n hormone free. That's important to me.
I did question wether to keep them a couple times. Our grandson decided for me the first time when he came upstairs after waking up n says he needs to go check the baby rabbits n make sure they are OK. He was 4. Animal husbandry being as important as it is to me. I folded instantly and reminded myself regularly. Feels nice. After we wrapped up I was almost done myself. My family balked. Hey I'm here for my family so guess I'm all in again.
I have to say how proud I am of our daughter. She processed the last batch of 28 kits. Butcher clean portion out n get cooling down ready for freezer or canner. Showing her man how to do it. And was done in 6 hours. That's near 12 minutes a frier total time. And fast in my book.
She works in the arctic on exploration rigs. Certified truck driver and has a bunch of welding certifications in her pocket. Sooooo proud of my family.
With what's happening in our world today I'm scared that folks won't be feeling themselves like they used to. The words food security barely recognized now a common household phrase.
For me old-school rules and family always comes first and were keeping the rabbits

Last edited:
I think that many of us food source raisers saw with horror and acceptance when the pandemic first hit in 2020 that the majority of people didn't have a clue about their food, where it came from, how to get it if the grocery store didn't have it, etc.
For a while we saw an uptick in those looking for meat rabbits and fresh eggs, milk, cheese, etc. and now it seems to have fallen off again. People have short memories by and by.

Your daughter sounds a wonder, and you're doing a great job to keep that husbandry going. I love a well planned and executed protein producing operation!

I used to keep them years ago. Then finished raising kids, put myself thru school and pulled myself back onto my feet after a divorce. This past year remarried, inheirited 2 new step kiddos, and bought a house. We weren't even moved in when I got the chicks, and rabbits followed soon after.

The new husband was peeved because it was a lot during what was already a challenging time, but it was a response to the uncertianty. This I can do, this I can control. I regret nothing. I had been preparing for a zombie apocalypse since I was 11 years old, and by 35 I felt like I was ready, but I then wanted to conquor THIS world, sans zombies. Did that too. Now I can do anything. The pandemic is not scary. Just annoying.

May 8, 2022
As I reflect on the last two years, I count the plandemic as a blessing. A blessing because it made Made me stronger, more self reliant. Raising rabbits is just a part of the bigger picture of life. I was reminded that God is in control, that I love my family, that the earth under my feet is precious and I should take very good care of it. I was born of it and it will wrap its arms around me when I am finished. To the care of the earth the rabbit and the earth worms are essential and work together to build perfect soil.
Each plant that grows has a purpose and a benefit to mankind , it is my task to find understanding of this beautiful earth.
When I read this thread I hear the return to the earth by many, some are doing almost by instinct, others following a path laid down long ago. To my brothers and sisters peace and blessings.

Last edited:
Back