Live and Learn

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter1A

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Stupid me, moved the babies into their nursery last week which has .5 inch wire bottom. Noticed 1 had a cut foot and now 3 do. I put down hay to end that. I had pads along the backside of it but that wasn't good enough. I feel really bad about that and thought I would post so others don't make the same mistake. I know they will heal up but still. Once they are older their little feet can handle the wire. I'm at the stage of baby raising that I can't imagine processing any of them. Give me another 3 or 4 weeks and I'll be ready. I process at 11 weeks. Keeping a female and selling one so I only have 5 to go to freezer camp. Whaaaaa.

Stupid me, moved the babies into their nursery last week which has .5 inch wire bottom. Noticed 1 had a cut foot and now 3 do. I put down hay to end that. I had pads along the backside of it but that wasn't good enough. I feel really bad about that and thought I would post so others don't make the same mistake. I know they will heal up but still. Once they are older their little feet can handle the wire. I'm at the stage of baby raising that I can't imagine processing any of them. Give me another 3 or 4 weeks and I'll be ready. I process at 11 weeks. Keeping a female and selling one so I only have 5 to go to freezer camp. Whaaaaa.
What was the problem with .5 inch wire bottom? It seems to me that should be great for babies. All of my cages have 1" x .5" wire on the bottom, including the cages with tiny Polish in them. The kits have to learn to walk on it when they come out of the nest box, which usually starts around 14-18 days old, but I've never had bunnies cut their feet. ???

Maybe you had something else going on? Possibly a predator or other antagonist underneath?

What was the problem with .5 inch wire bottom? It seems to me that should be great for babies. All of my cages have 1" x .5" wire on the bottom, including the cages with tiny Polish in them. The kits have to learn to walk on it when they come out of the nest box, which usually starts around 14-18 days old, but I've never had bunnies cut their feet. ???

Maybe you had something else going on? Possibly a predator or other antagonist underneath?
I know, I sat and thought about it for a long time and felt all around to make sure no sharp points were sticking up. I leave my window open at night to listen for my doe and buck thumping which alerts me to predators and nothing. I had only one baby last year that had this problem. Since I checked them all this morning after seeing the one then seeing 2 more it happened to I say wire. I was outside the whole time so gotta be. I hope the hay does the trick. I've been thinking predator also but keep going back to the wire. They got alot of room to run fast in this hutch. I dunno, enuf to drive ya crazy. I'm going outside and putting down some board in the boxes and taking my rifle!

Latest posts

Back