Little moments on a hot August day.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
It's hot here in Ontario today (90* F., feels like 108.) and on days like this we don't do much that causes us to break a sweat. Even the breeze off the lake is hot air, though I am thankful we have it.

When life slows down, you tend to take an extra moment here and there to notice the little things.

Our Pilgrim goose Elsie is twelve years old and a nicer goose you couldn't find. Every morning when Brian lets her out of the chicken house, she goes to her wading pool and waits for him to pour a bucket of water over her. She even lets him pat her a bit, and she is always glad to hang out with him when he is outside.

Elsie loves the treats that summertime brings her. Brian likes watermelon, but a watermelon is a lot for one person even over a few days, so Elsie is delighted to help him eat it. She also loves musk melon, strawberries, pears, banana, and just about any other fruit she can get hold of. For years we didn't know what to give her for treats, but we sure do now! The bowl-shaped rind of watermelon with plenty of the flesh left in it is definitely at the top of her list.

There is a huge six-foot thistle plant just outside the kitchen window. I asked Brian to spare it and I'm glad I did. It's a magnet for bees, butterflies and the local goldfinches. Seeing a male goldfinch or two pulling thistledown out of the gone-to-seed flower heads at close range is a daily delight. I've also seen bumblebees and honeybees and lots of butterflies: yellow swallowtails, fritillaries, whites and sulphurs, and -- not so common nowadays -- monarchs.

We leave lots of bird and butterfly weeds alone here on our 32 acres. And we're amply rewarded by the abundance of little creatures around us.

I'd enjoy hearing what small special moments y'all are enjoying just now. :)

That sounds lovely, even with the heat. It's hot here, too, and we get little thunderstorm cells that move through to cool us off.

At this time of year I have a great appreciation for that little 'tink' noise of canning jars sealing. It's the time for tomato sauce which involves a lot of rigaramole, culminating in multiple loads of pressure canning. I'm usually running around getting other chores done while keeping a half eye on the pressure. When I'm finally all done and relaxing with a cold beverage and hearing those little 'tink's from the kitchen, it makes me quietly happy.

I'm also really enjoying my new adventure with Muscovy ducks -those guys have redecorated my garden in a hurry and they are such characters!

We saw our first monarchs in May this year--so surprised that I waited for a good close-up look and checked my book to make sure I wasn't seeing a viceroy. Still seeing monarchs and a couple kinds of swallowtail and lots of sulfurs, whites and checkerspots.
I especially like to see the dragonflies. They eat the flying critters that bite me and I always wish I could keep one perched on my shoulder as I work or sit or walk. I also like the way they perch nicely for photos and then fly in such zigzags that I use them to practice following flights with my binoculars.
The bright red splash the bee balm makes under a pine tree and the whir of hummingbirds among the blossoms.
The sound of rain in this dry summer and any bit of coolness that comes my way.

My life is actually zooming right now!! :motorcycle:
I've been getting the crash course in how to work a full time job while managing a household as a single parent with full custody, taking good care of my critters, and somehow finding time for dating. :p (Usually I just combine it with activities the kids enjoy, like kayaking, ren faires, art or craft days, and theme parks.)

Thankfully, somehow, my new partner's idea of a date also includes activities such as shoveling out the aviary, helping organize my basement, or spending a day teaching an overwhelmed new homesteader how to dispatch and process rabbits while helping cull back her overgrown herd. :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Those slow, gentle moments in life are the best ones I think, but those fast paced and very fulfilling busy-busy times suit me as well, and tbh, I can't even remember the last time I was this content.

:yeahthat:
I'm in more of Zass's state of mind right now... things are rushing, and I'm trying to find the "slow" button. :lol:

Although it's been hectic, and we started the summer with some heartbreak, I'm finally back to being able to enjoy my free time (and having said free time, in general). The rabbitry is doing well again, thanks to an improved mister/fan system, and in spite of the awful heatwaves (it's been in the 90's-100's consistently for the past 3 weeks).

With the weather as it is, I've been trying to stay indoors more often than not, but I get to enjoy the rabbits every morning and evening for a few hours, and they continue to bring me peace and joy. Juvia has become quite the foster mother, taking over all of Jane's litter when we lost Jane... the kits are now 6 weeks old, and are quite the little rascals. Last night as I was doing my rounds I caught all 8 of them squirming and jostling upside down to get some milk... Juvia's patience with them is amazing, they were nearly lifting her off her feet! I've also caught the naughty kids trying to nibble her ears or laying on top of her, and she doesn't do more than twitch the ear away. :oops:

In non-rabbit-related news, DH bought me a floor loom as an early birthday present, so I am looking forward to teaching myself yet another fiber craft! The loom was on Craigslist for $400, and I don't think the gentleman that was selling it was really all that knowledgeable about it, but I gave it a once over and we brought it home on Sunday. With a little cleaning, some new tie-ups for the peddles, and $3 worth of nuts and washers that needed to be replaced, I'd say it was practically a steal! I've been weaving on a rigid heddle loom, and can't wait to expand my horizons with a proper 4-shaft loom! :D

Latest posts

Back