Litter of 15, only 2 kits barely alive...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

after 4 years of rabbits and lots of healthy litters it now happend to me that a litter went wrong. Red Shrew had 2 litters of 10 and 8, the last one 5-6 weeks ago. 10 days after kindling she escaped her hutch and met the buck, no shrew no more, it just took them mere seconds...

I weaned the kits about 5 days ago, and she kindled today. She was so HUGE, I expected a big litter, but 15 was too much, 13 dead, most underdeveloped - also the 2 live kits look tiny and somewhat unfinished. She was so exhausted, didn't even clean up the nest, poor girl.

I cleaned the nest and installed electric heating under the nestbox, let's see if the two make it, not much optimism there.

I wouldn't have known what to do with all that rabbits anyway, I have too many does craving for being bred, but I feel so sorry for her, that was such an unnecessary ordeal. I took Black Fury out of their hutch for this night (she's roaming my house now, she is somewhat frustrated and dominant these days) to give Shrew some rest and a respite from being humped.

Sigh, this is not a question, or a rant, just babbling...

Well, the last two died a day later. That was simply too much.

Anyway, Red Shrew is recovering, she's still quite bony, but active, good appetite.. And she is back to her normal self-confident Don't-Touch-Me! :wr_noseinair: attitude.

At least I now know I've got a fox nearby again, did dig up the kits, have it on the wildlife camera.

Attachments

• Red Shrew1.JPG
    Red Shrew1.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 498
Back