Litter expectations... Color genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozemba

Reaction score
I have kept back a black/orange harlequin doe out of a blue tort doe and tricolor buck. So she carries the dilute, because of her mom. So aa_B_C_Dd_eej?

If I breed her to a blue tort, aa_B_C_dd_ee....

Could she throw blue/fawn harlequin along with the black/orange? As well as the possibility of black and blue torts? Anything else possible?

I've been looking at a couple of genetics websites but I'm still working on the probability of getting what versus what. Since she's carrying dilute and he is dilute I've got a 50/50 chance of a kit being dilute. And a 25% chance of having harlequin...?

If I am correct harlequin is A_B_D_ej_
So this doe would be AaB_C_Ddeje

The possible kit colors if bred to a blue tort would be:
black harlequin(AaB_C_Ddeje), orange(AaB_C_Ddee), cream(AaB_C_ddee), blue harlequin(AaB_C_ddeje), torted harlequin(aaB_C_Ddeje), black tort(aaB_C_Ddee), torted blue harlequin(aaB_C_ddeje), and blue tort(aaB_C_ddee).

I'm not sure on percentages.

Oh ok. The site I was looking at I guess I didn't notice that Harlequin was A instead of a. Thanks.

I also can't seem to find any decent pictures of torted harlequins. Or any confirmed anyway.

__________ Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:44 pm __________

hardwayharlequins.greyclick.com

This is an understandable little write up about torted harlequins. I get it nooowww.

__________ Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:12 am __________

Another question while I'm here and have this thread going, instead of starting a new one. Would it be possible to get cream out of a blue doe and a blue tort buck? Cuz I think that's what I got.

__________ Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:17 am __________

I'll get some pictures of the kit in question.. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:27 am __________ <br /><br /> When I got these pictures with flash on you can see some shading but it is so faint in regular light you literally cannot see it.

DSC_0975small.jpgDSC_0974small.jpgDSC_0972small.jpg

These kits are the torts out of a litter of seven with the other four being blue. Two weeks old.

No, cream is genetically possible because it’s agouti.
I’m wondering if that kit is just a very lightly marked tortequin?
So if the doe is blue and the buck is blue tort, and they produced tortequin kits, then the doe is Eej and the buck is ee. So the only possibilities for the kits are Ee(for the blue) or eje(the Torted harlequin).
So in conclusion, the kit is probably a Torted harlequin.

The doe has BEW out of tricolor lines in her pedigree so the BEW was hiding the ej, I've determined. The kit is solid tan/cream/fawn whatever color it is with no visible markings in regular light. It's crazy. With the flash you can tell that the nose is tinted darker and the ears a bit.

Do you have pictures of the parents?

What are they carrying on the C locus?

The only possible color I can think of right now is Torted harlequin unless the parents are actually different colors or maybe something weird is happening on the C locus(which with the kits color I find that doubtful.)
A cross between blue and blue tort with the other kits being tortequin means it’s genotype would have to be aaB_C_ddeje which is tortequin

No I believe that it is tortequin also its just weird that it looks solid. The buck has black and blue tort in his pedigree for all 3 generations.

The doe is a weirdo she's a Blue VM out of a black VM and BEW; grandsires are Black/orange tricolor and BEW; granddams are BEW and BEW, greatgrandsires are BEW, Black VC, blk/org tri, Black VC; greatgranddams are BEW, Broken Blue VM, blk/org tri, and broken blue VM.

So there could be a ton of crap hiding under all that BEW.

Oh ok sorry about that. Yeah it’s weird that it looks solid, rabbits are weird sometimes. Very pretty kit though. I must say I love anything harlequin :lol: I’m a bit envious lol
That’s very interesting... there’s a lot of color in that pedigree.

Back