Litter Color Predictions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to make a post where I try and predict the colors of the Kits that are going to be born in a week

Litter 1 - Himi + Siamese Smoke Pearl
Bred them last time, both kits were Smoke Pearl's, I'm going to go with Smoke Pearls

Litter 2 - Himi + BEW
He's only had VM Blacks other than one VM darker-than-usual Siamese Sable (The Doe was a darker-than-usual Siamese Sable herself so that's probably why)
Going with Blacks, most likely with VM marks

Litter 2 - Siamese Sable + Siamese Smoke Pearl
I've bred these two once before but the Buck was new to breeding so no Kits
The Doe, when bred to her Siamese Sable half-brother, gave Siamese Sables (Normal & lighter-than-usual), Himis, and Seals
Guessing Siamese Sables, Himis, and possibly Smoke Pearl or Seal

Last edited:
Well this morning I was looking at a website that had great information on the Sable Gene in rabbits and found quite a few interesting things
The Sable Gene

Screenshot 2022-09-27 9.20.28 AM.png
Cinder and Groudon are Dark Sables (I knew Cinder was, I just hadn't heard the term in a while)
Cinder's sire was a normal Siamese Sable, but her dam was a Himi, and so were her parents
But maybe it can come from a Himi too
Groudon is Cinder's son, but his sire is a BEW, maybe Cinder just gave him both, or his sire maybe has some Sable hiding in there

Screenshot 2022-09-27 9.24.02 AM.png
Cinder has had two Light Sable Kits, both coming from her being paired with her half uncle half brother who was a normal Siamese Sable
As I said before, Cinder has a Himi dam and grandparents. Couch's (Who she was bred with) dam was Cinder's grandmother and his sire is the same as Cinder's
I assume that they could get the REW gene from Himis, if not then maybe they just didn't get enough Sable

Cinder and Groudon are Dark Sables (I knew Cinder was, I just hadn't heard the term in a while)
Cinder's sire was a normal Siamese Sable, but her dam was a Himi, and so were her parents
But maybe it can come from a Himi too
Groudon is Cinder's son, but his sire is a BEW, maybe Cinder just gave him both, or his sire maybe has some Sable hiding in there

View attachment 31763
Cinder has had two Light Sable Kits, both coming from her being paired with her half uncle half brother who was a normal Siamese Sable
As I said before, Cinder has a Himi dam and grandparents. Couch's (Who she was bred with) dam was Cinder's grandmother and his sire is the same as Cinder's
I assume that they could get the REW gene from Himis, if not then maybe they just didn't get enough Sable
Dark Sable is also known as Seal. Dark Sable is more of a UK term, the website you looked at is by a UK author.

Genes come in pairs, one from each parent, a pair for each locus. A locus is a group, each group controlling something different, such as amount of black, whether they are dilute or not, whether they can show any yellow pigment.

Sable, Himi and REW are within the C locus. Remember that they can only have TWO genes from each locus/group.

Cinders, you say, is a dark sable (seal). However she can't be Seal she can only be a medium sable. She will be c(chl)c(h)* as one parent was sable [giving her a c(chl) gene] and the other parent giving her a c(h) Himi gene. Seals/Dark Sables have TWO c(chl) genes, and the Himi parent did not have this gene to pass on.
*It's also possible she is c(chl)c, carrying REW, if her Himi parent carried REW and chose to pass the c on instead of the c(h).

Personally I have seen no difference between c(chl)c(h) and c(chl)c in terms of lightness/darkness, they are both Medium. It's true that there IS a 'Light Sable' recognised in the UK but they seem to be very few and far between, and their occurrence may be down to modifiers rather than what they have at the C locus. My own Sable rabbits are c(chl)c and are no lighter nor darker than c(chlc(h) that I have seen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back