Litter box training?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
At some point soon I plan to move, and my little Holland Lop buck will become a house-bunny. I'd love to be able to let him run around and stuff, but...I need to attempt some housebreaking first.

I...don't know how to do that. :lol: Suggestions? I wouldn't normally consider it but would neutering him help?

He's about a year old, former show rabbit and breeding buck who happened to sire a more perfect replacement for his breeder, and he was sold to me to "retire" him to the life of a pampered pet. :)

I litter box trained several rabbits by just putting a box of shavings in their cages. They all just automatically used it. Give it a try.

Neutering can help with the marking, but then again, I have three intacted males that run around with no problems. They know their litter box and I always have it out so they can make their pit stops. If he's not a sprayer, has a sweet disposition, why go through a neutering?

First get your new "house bunny" used to being inside and using one. All my bunnies started out life outside in hutches and wired crates. I just observed them and found out their favorite corner in their crate. Then put the litter box there. I also put their hay in it so the litter box became a good spot to hang out. Have to say my flemmish got the hang of the litter box really quick.

Once your holland gets used to the new surroundings and knows what the litter box is for, then start letting him out in short supervised spurts. Keep the area small. Then gradually open the area up. Mine have the run of the living room and kitchen. They are always supervised. No problems so far, knock on wood.

Wishing you luck.

Karen

Sounds great, thanks! :) I don't know if he sprays, actually...his cage is right next to another intact buck and SOMEONE is peeing in long-range, but it could be the other one and not him. I haven't caught either in the act, so... :shrug:

He does have a fantastic personality and disposition...he's grumpy with me right now because he's molting and I can't help myself, gotta brush! :lol: But he's generally so easygoing, this should be easy, right?

I'll get him a litter box now and start keeping it in his cage, if I can get him started now it'll be easier to finish his training when I move. :)

My intact males go through a grumpy period too with molting, but after brushing, a little romp around the room always makes them less grumpy. Neville, my DM Lion head, knows the routine with brushing and floor time.

Smart move to start now.

Karen

Back