Lionheads or Rex?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Mama

Mini Plush Lops Furever
Reaction score
I would like to begin breeding lionheads or Rex (mini Rex) opinions on the two breeds?

I would like to begin breeding lionheads or Rex (mini Rex) opinions on the two breeds?
I’m on the fence about this. I have several Lionheads that are very sweet and a few that are really challenging to handle. Their early experiences were not with me so I don’t know if additional handling would have made a difference but it’s possible. The one mini Rex I had was really outgoing and fun. Totally different vibes.

We have very few lionheads in AK; the only two I've "met" personally were quite sweet, but that's a pretty small sample to base an opinion on. However, I can offer a glowing review of mini rex.

We raised mini rex for years and never had one that wasn't darling. The bucks were usually bouncy and friendly and a little goofy, all characters in some way or other...lots of personality packed into that little body. The does were sweet and mellow and sometimes quirky in a gentle way. They were great mothers, often fostering Satins for me when my Satins had their typically huge litters. It was a hoot to watch a 3-1/2 pound mini rex nurse Satin bunnies that looked bigger than she was - she seemed to float on top of the mass of kicking bunnies! They were also very low-maintenance: they handled the cold as well as the big rabbits, and did not seem to have the problems with sore hocks that the big Rex often do. (Although the adult mini rex nearly always had callouses on their hind feet, they rarely ever became sore.) They have always competed well at shows for us. Their wonderful plush coats, great temperaments, and small size also make them very easy to find homes for. The only negative I ever saw was the fact that breeding 2 true dwarfs together usually produced peanuts, which is sad. But that would be true of lionheads as well.

My son's Grand Champion and multiple Best in Show castor doe "Fox."
Fox1-2013.jpg

My youngest with her baby mini rex "Carmel."
DSCN0853.JPG

Here's Gr. Ch. "Moonlight," one of our kookiest mini rex ever, with her babies. Moonlight had a permanently tipped head and also several successful litters after we pulled her through a serious bout of E. cuniculi.
3blkbuns.jpg

Tort mini rex "Jelly" and one of her babies.
JellyNBabe.jpg

Latest posts

Back