Line breeding - what is acceptable, what is not?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdBrook

Reaction score
I'm breeding meat rabbits and have cross bred bunnies, NZ and FGs. My question, is is "safe" to breed son to mother, father to daughter, brother to sister, Aunt to nephew, etc? What crosses are acceptable and what ones are likely to cause issues and best avoided?

Thanks and I apologize if it's not a very intelligent question, but I really would like to avoid any accidental or deliberate breedings that might cause problems in my little herd.

In your case I would not worry in the least about inbreeding mom to son/grandson, father to daughter/granddaughter or siblings for several reasons.

- your crossing two different breeds so no accidental relatives in their recent ancestry.

- you are breeding for meat and are not going to be squeamish about culling undesirables.

- you are breeding for meat and not some perfect show quality color or pattern you can only get by intense inbreeding

-you are actually aware of and concerned about the need for genetic diversity and will likey try and bring in new blood at some point.

Even in very inbred rabbits they don't come out with grotesque birth defects. Usually decreased fertility is the first sign, and most people cull poor performing breeding stock. A compromised immune systems is also a symptom and so your bunnies get sick alot, and again most people cull the less than thrifty rabbits so problem solved.

Latest posts

Back