Lilac Chinchilla?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, it was my fault. Genetics of color is something I've always been interested in.
Haha me too. I swore I'd not get into learning dog genetics (already having learned rabbits, cats, mice, hamsters, cavies, gerbils, rats) but then I just had to find out how my fawn with black overlay dog had come out of two black parents... :LOL:

I've learned the hard way to "never say never" in genetics, haha...there are too many unknowns, modifiers, unexpected interactions and linkages, etc. For example, I used to say that if you bred two (recessive) rex-coated rabbits, you'd always get rex-coated kits. Until I discovered that there is not one, not two, but at least three different genes that produce that coat type (that we know of so far)! And they don't always cooperate with each other to make a rex coat... so you *can* get a normal-furred rabbit out of two rex-coated ones!
I absolutely love the Champagne d'Argent - it's the only breed that might pull me away from Satins! - but good luck with Champagnes as a "simple" color. Even though the silvered breeds are very old, the gene for silvering is one of the less-well-understood genes; in fact as far as I know it hasn't actually been directly identified. It appears that it may be partially-dominant - sometimes the silvering effect is seen in heterozygotes, sometimes it's not - and the amount of silvering seems to be heritable, but that may be due to differences in the genes themselves, in modifiers, both of those, and/or something else. And since Champagnes are black-based, which is dominant, you can't rule out having a different color (blue, brown, or lilac) pop up if there's been an outcross with a rabbit carrying chocolate or dilute, even in the distant past.
But what fun it is!
Genetics geeks, unite! :)
Is there a website that explains the rex genes?

If you mean the rex coat color genes, Wildriver Rabbitry has an awesome page here:
Mini Rex Color Guide
It's the color site I use most for reference. Wildriver raises mini rex, but coat color genes are the same for all breeds. The main difference is that some colors are recognized in some breeds and not in others, and the common name for a color may vary between breeds (e.g. chestnut, castor and copper are genetically the same). You can find that on national breed association pages, or in the ARBA's Standard of Perfection publication.
Mink Hollow also has a detailed page given to rex coat color genetics here: An Illustrated Guide to Rabbit Coat Color Genetics* [Mink Hollow Rabbitry]
If you're looking for an explanation of the genes for rex fur, I don't have one that goes into the multiple alleles that can produce rex fur, but for most purposes it behaves as a simple autosomal-recessive gene, i.e. two copies of the particular allele are needed for the fur type to be expressed. If that's what you're looking for I'll come back if I find a good site.
In the meantime there are some research papers that refer to the three rex alleles known so far, designated r1, r2 and r3 in order of their discovery in 1919, 1926 and 1927. One is here: https://www.researchgate.net/public...at_Phenotype_in_Rabbits_Oryctolagus_cuniculus
I believe the first (and maybe only?) technical discussion of the three genes was done by Castle in the Journal of Heredity in 1929. It is here:
REX RABBIT
but you have to subscribe to the journal or rent it to read it. :(

Last edited:
Out of all my herd, I know everyone’s color! This buck I’m 99% sure is Lilac Chinchilla. But that 1% is missing. Is he lilac chinchilla?View attachment 30420View attachment 30421View attachment 30422View attachment 30423
Out of all my herd, I know everyone’s color! This buck I’m 99% sure is Lilac Chinchilla. But that 1% is missing. Is he lilac

I have what looks like a shaded steel tipped chinchilla, and wanted to know what made him shaded since none of his siblings or his line has any shaded genetics.

I think I found the answer. It has to do incomplete dominance and a combination of alleles in the A, C, and E locus groups. For instance, the non extension gen coupled with the steel gene produces an all black rabbit. The extension gene has some incomplete dominance over the color gene, and pattern genes.

So you may be seeing the interactive relationships between more than gene.

I just looked at his pedigree, he Carry’s, Chin, Self Chin, Rew, Dalmatian, magpie, red, harlequin, tri, cal, Amber, black, castor, fawn, and Otter. I have the 7 gen pedigrees for all my rabbits and that’s what I can see. As far as I know sable is something that NONE of my rabbits carry, cuz it’s not on any of they’re pedigrees.
So you listed cal? Is that Californian?

Californians are pointed, and that is where your rabbit is getting the shaded look. Breed him to a REW and see what is in that color allele.

Genetically speaking, the sable and himi gemes can have partial dominance over the color allele. You are seeing that in this rabbit.

Latest posts

Back