Lighting for rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What kind of lighting do rabbits require/thrive in I have a stacked cage system indoors with no outside light. Also wondering what kind of light schedule people are using since you have to trick them into thinking it's breeding time year round

Mine that are downstairs (So not my upstairs rabbit) get normal light bulb light. I should mention that there is a growing light also downstairs for plants that turns on and off at set times

I am using the traditional bulb shaped LED lights. They look like regular old fashioned light bulbs but they stay cool. I chose them because they are very bright, can be left on for many hours using very little electricity and they do not heat up, which would be a fire hazard.

I believe if you Google there are studies done which show how much light - as in lumens per sq ft - they require, and the optimal amount of hours they need. Mine have LED batten/strip lights which are on a timer, 12hrs/12hrs year round. I think it's also 'daylight' spectrum or similar.

I believe that 12 hours of daylight, starts a phonological or natural clock in rabbits. And hares.
In our region. We have had 12 hours for several weeks now. If wild rabbits n hares start breeding then, the kits will be born a month later but do not leave the nest for a couple more weeks. By then they are acclimated to the ambient temps. Our nesting boxes are enclosed so heat stays in.
Hope this helps have fun

Back