Light to get doe "in the mood"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl9768

Reaction score
As many of you know I've been having trouble getting my doe to breed. Some of you suggested light so I added a lamp over her cage. Not the brightest but it lights up her cage okay. Still no luck. Kept the light on her 16 hrs a day for 4 days now. How bright are your lights? How long after adding light should she get back in the mood. She's one year now and I need to get her bred before fat collects around her reproductive organs.

I may be jumping too far ahead in the conclusions by saying this, because I don't know what your long-term plan looks like...

I generally do not keep rabbits in my production if they do not take to a buck right away regardless of circadian rhythm. Some call this quick to judge, but I say there is probably a genetic trait that I don't like that is causing this (Even though it exist naturally). Therefore, I ask myself the question; do I really want her in my program? I NOW have does that are receptive to bucks year round with naturally diminishing light.

Otherwise, Lights 24/7 make it hard for the rabbits to sleep and be healthy. A simple light timer on 14 hour days should do the trick.

These are my opinions so take them lightly :)

Justin":3w0jii9h said:
I may be jumping too far ahead in the conclusions by saying this, because I don't know what your long-term plan looks like...

I generally do not keep rabbits in my production if they do not take to a buck right away regardless of circadian rhythm. Some call this quick to judge, but I say there is probably a genetic trait that I don't like that is causing this (Even though it exist naturally). Therefore, I ask myself the question; do I really want her in my program? I NOW have does that are receptive to bucks year round with naturally diminishing light.

Otherwise, Lights 24/7 make it hard for the rabbits to sleep and be healthy. A simple light timer on 14 hour days should do the trick.

These are my opinions so take them lightly :)

There are too many rabbit out there that DO breed easily and year round to keep one that is difficult to breed. That being said, it *could* be diet related. Sometimes they are deficient in Vitamin A and D, I think? MaggieJ can tell you more about that.

Latest posts

Back