Let's transplant!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
Pulled a couple young dandelion plants out of a vacant home's lot yesterday-- stuck it in a flower pot with brand new potting soil... :roll: :pinkbunny:
yep, the transplanting of 'weed' plants to make for easy foraging has begun! :lol: :bunnyhop:

I tried that last summer, but even though I had the whole root(I actually dug them up!) they didn't make it :(

Bad Habit":mm4ez9lj said:
I tried that last summer, but even though I had the whole root(I actually dug them up!) they didn't make it :(
They need to be moved quickly-- ANd-- they do die back after the shock, but will start up again if there is enough energy in the root. Have done this with thistle, dock, dandelion clover, ragweed and chicory.
I will probably be trimming a lot of Multiflora rosa this year--(illegal to transplant) and with the larger, more varied acreage here to choose plants from- the rabbits will have more variety in their summer diets. There is even a wonderful pond out back that will be an excellent source of Lemna minor(Small Duckweed)-- Some of THAT will go into the water garden I plan on doing- very small scale this year.

Well, I transplanted it as I would any plant. Dug up the whole root and kept as much dirt/feeder roots attached as possible, and immediately put them into a pot. Still died.

Did you keep them in the shade? They do better kept in the shade until they start growing again.
I got this mole who loves to tunnel through my garden and will eat the roots off my dandelions!! I have saved some of the plants by potting them up and keeping them in the shade until ready to go back in the ground. Meanwhile, every spring I grow tons of seedlings to plant out. :) Darn moles! Can't get rid of them! :x

Bad Habit":3bwq39u5 said:
Well, I transplanted it as I would any plant. Dug up the whole root and kept as much dirt/feeder roots attached as possible, and immediately put them into a pot. Still died.
I do all my wild transplants as 'bare root'-- that ensures I have no 'air pockets' for water to collect in and drown the poor things.. And that WILL happen. Also, potting up a wild plant changes a lot of micro-climate conditions. Yesterday's dandelion got potting soil cuz the natural soil is so soggy, and I don't have a bed yet available for it. Normally, I move a wild transplant into the same type of soil-- or at the very least, blended soil. This keeps the pH and nutrient balances as close to 'home' as possible.<br /><br />__________ Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:54 am __________<br /><br />
AmysMacdog":3bwq39u5 said:
Did you keep them in the shade? They do better kept in the shade until they start growing again.
I got this mole who loves to tunnel through my garden and will eat the roots off my dandelions!! I have saved some of the plants by potting them up and keeping them in the shade until ready to go back in the ground. Meanwhile, every spring I grow tons of seedlings to plant out. :) Darn moles! Can't get rid of them! :x
Transplant some black snakes!

Yes, I put them in the shade. Kept them moist but not wet. Used a 6" tall pot to accommodate the long tap root. I ended up starting them from seed and haven't had a problem since.

As far as a mole goes, my mom had one. They got rid of it... Her boyfriend went out with a sledgehammer and played the full sized version of Whack a Mole because it kept eating the roots of her heurcheras, and was making its way over to where her fern leaf peonies are planted.

Got plenty of snakes, we encourage the good ones.
:lol: Whack a Mole :lol: I'd like to have seen that!! The best luck I've had so far is flooding the tunnels with water.

AmysMacdog":rrxvks79 said:
Got plenty of snakes, we encourage the good ones.
:lol: Whack a Mole :lol: I'd like to have seen that!! The best luck I've had so far is flooding the tunnels with water.
that means OUR moles here have gills, cuz most of the time, the water table is at 6 inches!!

Oh there yard was a MESS afterwards. Not only were there big holes from the mole, but also more big holes from where her bf beat the ground.

Back