Lethargic mama and wet kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewdrop

Reaction score
My California doe had 6 kits last week, and has been caring for them, and feeding them well. I have been giving her unlimited hay and pellets and a pinch of oats every day, as well as some fresh greens. Over the past week she has become very lethargic and lays down panting most of the time. She gets up to eat, and checks on her kits when i open the nest box, but when i leave her be she just lays there. I’m hoping she’s just a tired mama, and there is nothing wrong, but i’m still a bit concerned. Her poop is mostly normal, besides a few droppings that had some white mucus on them.
The second issue, is that i found all of her kits wet in their nest today. They still felt warm, and were as fat and sleepy as ever, but i am afraid they are peeing on eachother. I don’t want to destroy the beautiful, fur lined nest the doe built them, but i know they will become too cold if they stay wet too long. Is there any way I can dry them off? They are in a ventilated nest box, so the pee should drain, but they are piled all over eachother. Should I make the nest circle bigger? Thank you!

I would clean up the nest, asap, a rather thick layer of soft hay as base, forming the nest, and whatever fur can be salvaged on top/sides. Usually the nest doesn't get that wet from the kits pee alone, unless maybe if the bottom layer is thin and the floor clogged watertight.

How does the does spine feel? My 5yo Ruth is nursing a litter of 5 now and somewhat struggles to keep condition, quite tired a lot too. I give oatmeal with about a teaspoon of sunflower seed oil on it twice a day.

I also started to give hay again, they normally ignore it this time of year when there is fresh forage, but it's good for their Tummy and she does eat it.

I would clean up the nest, asap, a rather thick layer of soft hay as base, forming the nest, and whatever fur can be salvaged on top/sides. Usually the nest doesn't get that wet from the kits pee alone, unless maybe if the bottom layer is thin and the floor clogged watertight.

How does the does spine feel? My 5yo Ruth is nursing a litter of 5 now and somewhat struggles to keep condition, quite tired a lot too. I give oatmeal with about a teaspoon of sunflower seed oil on it twice a day.

I also started to give hay again, they normally ignore it this time of year when there is fresh forage, but it's good for their Tummy and she does eat it.
Thank you for the advice! I cleaned out the wet hay, and kept a nice bed of dry hay and fur. Luckily their mama pulled a hefty amount of fur for the nest! I will try giving the doe some more supplemental foods to see if she perks up. :)

Why is she panting? is it hot? at all? Panting like with an open mouth?
It has been warm the past few days, and her cage is in direct sunlight for a few hours. I built her some shade yesterday to see if it helps. No, she pants with a closed mouth, just visibly breathing heavily and looks tired.

Sounds like she is hot, but not stressed by it. just normal rabbit behavior when over warm--stretched out, ears up, head back., and holding still. She is increasing her surface area and decreasing her activity to try to lose heat. The shade will help most likely, and you can always add a frozen jug of water for her to lean up against. If she starts open mouth panting she is waaay too hot.

Latest posts

Back