Less skittish but good meat rabbit breeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LASGSD

Reaction score
I have my colony plans pretty much set but now I'm trying to decide on breeds to start with. The problem is ... dogs.

We have 7 dogs. None of them will hurt the rabbits (I train them not to) so I'm not too worried about them. But they do run and bark and will be curious and such.

We also run an all breed lure coursing club on our property. On any given weekend (during the warm weather) we could have 50+ dogs on our property. They will be on leash all the time they are in the area where the rabbits are but there will be ALOT of barking going on.

Are there any breeds of rabbit that are more calm (less wild / skittish) than others? I am raising for meat for my dogs so I'm not too concerned about meat to bone ratio. I would like to try keeping some skins to use for projects and such but it's not an important factor.

Any suggestions?

Actually, I was thinking if you get them young(8-10 weeks), handle them lots, and give them lots of hidey holes they will learn they are safe.

I have a meat mutt and NZ's and we have had construction, dogs, nite-time raccoon visits and lots of noisy kids. They take it all pretty well in stride, even when the downspout blew off the house and landed on the hutches.

If possible I might drop a door or tarp or screen across the front of the cages while the dogs are around, it seems like if they can't see it they are less fearful. I would also time it so that they had a few weeks undisturbed when you first got them, to settle in. And no coursing club on the does' due dates.

I would just try to pick calm rabbits the same way you would choose a dog. If the mom is nice and laid back when you go to choose your baby, if the baby can be handled without struggling, you will be in good shape.

Do you have an area to the side where you can make a sound muffling wall between the rabbits and the barking? It would also hide them from the dogs' view.

Hey, I just re-read that you are planning a colony type setting (my typing was faster than my reading). So, solid wall?

I would think with lots of places to hide, a colony would be even better. They can go into hay bale tunnels and feel totally invisible.

I can't put up solid walls but I do plan to have some type of blockade - probably transplant my wild raspberries. I was trying to kill them off anyway. :)

The raspberries sound great, can you put up a short solid wall? mini fence? At least they'd have the illusion of safety..it might help.

As to breeds, If you can get ahold of Americans, I can vouch for them being about as laid back as anything else out there. my goodness. BIG meaty bodies, and super friendly. As said earlier, no rabbit is going to ENJOY the dogs barking and the bunny lure thing, but as least the Americans probably won't die from fright.

Flemish Giants, perhaps? They seem, from what I've read, to be pretty calm rabbits. A cross of just about any of the larger breeds might be decent?

the thing is... given time, the rabbits will adjust. They will trust me on this. They will either adjust, or die from fright. :) Get them young, get them used to the noise. AND you can counteract some of the noise by playing a radio so you have a constant "hmm" of noise that they are used to.

Hey...they got used to me knocking the snow off the tarp (though I lost three), and they've adjusted to a child running pell mell through the rabbitry screaming loudly in excitement and play.

They will adjust...that's part of the beauty of prey animals. They adjust to whatever situation they are in...OR they die. Usually, they adjust. :)

I would make VERY sure that your fencing is secure as lure coursers will have a high prey drive and loose dogs happen at any type of dog event, despite everyone's best intentions. I find my harles are a very calm bunnies.

Putting up a green barrier...even corn stalks, raspberries, hanging vines that are bunny safe, etc.

If you're not concerned with the meat/bone ratio, I would honestly suggest Flemish Giants. They are the most laid back breed I have found, and are especially well suited to the colony pen you describe. I also believe that if you raise up replacement breeder stock and cull the starters after the first few litters, you'll be better off. The youngsters will be more comfortable with the commotion since they grew up around it.

Latest posts

Back