LC Cheesy Chipotle Rabbit Taquitos (with garlic lime sauce)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2CrazyFools

Rainy Days Rabbitry
Reaction score

For anyone on Facebook I post rabbit recipes on this page: Recipes for the Caerbannog Traveler - Heart Healthy Bunnies

Low Carb Cheesy Chipotle Rabbit Taquitos
with garlic lime dipping sauce

You will need:
• The meat from roughly one cooked rabbit, shredded. (I used canned rabbit, you can also use plain ol' chicken.)
• 8 oz Neufchatel (or regular cream cheese)
• 2 cups shredded mexican cheese (or cheddar, or whatever cheese you have in the refrigerator)
• 1/2 cup sour cream (I used some spoiled milk in the refrigerator since I was out of cream cheese, worked just ducky!)
• 1 small can green chilis
• Half a small can of adobo peppers (I pour the rest of the can into my salsa jar) This ingredient is IMPORTANT !
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• Cayenne pepper to taste
• Salt to taste
• Light dusting of stevia (optional)
• Tortillas (I used 9 Mama Lupe's Low Carb Tortillas for some FAT "taquitos"/ "Burritos?")

Combine all of the above ingredients except tortillas. Fill with as much mix as you please depending on how thick you want them then roll them bad boys up and place into your baking dish. Oiling the dish is not necessary (or wasn't for me). Bake at 425 degrees for roughly 20 mins, mine took closer to 30 minutes for the right degree of crispiness, likely due to how much I packed into them, lol.

Garlic Lime Dipping Sauce
• 1 cup sour cream (Friend brought me some, lol)
• 1/2 cup cilantro (I didn't have this one hand so I used some dried parsley and basil, not so much for taste but for added color, it tasted great with the sub.)
• Juice of one lime (Pro tip: microwave for 10 seconds and roll on the counter hard before cutting into it)
• 2-3 cloves garlic (I used pre chopped)
Pinch of salt (Forgot it... thankfully didn't need it)

Mix in a bowl, dip and enjoy! My friend came up for dinner and she'd never tasted rabbit before. "This tastes just like chicken!" Yup. ^_^

(The original recipe was posted by Nichole up in Nebraska on FB but I have modified it to fit my taste buds.)

OH! Before I forget, yes, I do have it resting on a bed of washed lambs quarters from my backyard, I'm a big proponent of using what you've got and while I don't like (despise maybe?) vegetables I went ahead and utilized some fresh pickings. Tasted good with the sauce! Lambs quarters tastes like wild asparagus (if you've ever eaten it) or a little like a whole pea pod? Hard to describe. Tastes green, how's that? :lol:

DSC07706.jpg
DSC07719.jpg

that sounds sooo good, i'll have to try this! we're about to butcher 30 more rabbits soon and i need some new recipes to use all the meat on :p

I was very pleased! It tasted like a dead ringer to a chicken taquito, and the chipotle really kicked it up a notch. The original recipe just tasted... lacking. So I added some salt, a tiny bit of sweetener and then, my favorite go-to for mexican dishes that need some oomph... chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Perfection.

Sounds great, looks great . . . so I'm not surprised it tasted great too. :D

Crazy, you should be collecting your original recipes in a file somewhere (with pictures where possible) . . . You never know when they might open an opportunity for you.

That sounds and looks very good! Thank you for sharing, it's going on my list of ones to try...grow, bunnies, grow!

I think things often taste better when presentation is done well, a light feast for your eyes before you feast with your mouth. :lol:

I am collecting them, sorta, on that facebook page. That's really the main reason I created that FB page is because I wanted an album of recipes for easy of access when I'm wondering what to do for dinner, but I didn't want it on my main FB page due to some friends feeling opposed to baked bunny burritos, lol. So the FB page came together as a place for me to store my recipes.

I don't know if any of my recipes are original, they are typically all based off of someone else's stuff that I've modded to fit my personal palate.

If y'all try this recipes let me know how you liked it and what you may have done to tweak it better for you. ^_^

Back