Laying on side when breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
So we're trying to breed a first timer to our new buck, she's 8 months old, and more than ready! :lol: She's totally in heat, but when the buck tries to mount her, she's laying on her side.

Anyone ever have this? What should we do?

She's not interested. Keep trying, eventually she will be willing. Or, you can force breed, up to you.

She's very much in heat, she's squirting all over in the bucks cage, her vulva is deep red, and she's actually trying to mount him. Instead of standing for him, she lays on her side.

Would table breeding work better in this case? If I try to hold the doe, the buck hides in the corner, he's very skittish of people.

Table breeding might be hard with a skittish buck but it would be worth a shot if you have someone to help.

No, not hot. :) She's in an enclosed rabbitry, with lots of good air flow. It's only in the 60's in there.

I'm not sure what to do, nothing seems to work. She's an extremely social bunny, loves human attention. Her vulva is deep red/purple, she's squirting all over, and she's actually mounting the buck. But when he tries to mount her, she flops. Holding her doesn't work, the buck isn't comfortable with our hands in there.

Any other ideas?

She might not like that particular buck...try with a different one if you can. Some rabbits are just picky that way.

Thank you for the suggestion, Shannon, I appreciate the idea. We have tried her with 3 different bucks over the last few days, and she does the same thing with each one. Back when we bred Sammy and Hazel, we tried this doe too, and she did the same thing. I have checked her over her bottom thoroughly too, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. She's dirty from squirting so much, but vents are clean, and no runny poo. She's just emotionally not ready I guess.

What is the latest a doe would typically mature? She's 8 months now. If she just needs more time, that is fine, but how long would be typical to wait before deciding she's just not meant to be part of the breeding herd?

Latest posts

Back