Latest day to bring in doe to kindle?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
I will be bringing in all does so they kindle in the coop. Since the kits seem to always freeze if outside. At what day should I move the doe in? I don't want to have them inside for too long before hand, but don't know if too late will have an adverse affect.
The Californian doe I moved in on the 28th or 29th day. I think she already had her nest, but I worried her kits might freeze, too and I was sick of having no babies and adult rabbits.
I'm thinking of moving them on the 18th day into the new cage that already has a nest box. Outside cages will be for general living and kindling during the warm seasons. Does will go back outside after the kits are weaned, either be rebred and wait for their 18th day to be brought back in or left out to recondition before breeding again.

Day 18 will give plenty of time for them to settle. One Acre Farm mentioned that the latest she moves them is a week prior.

I will move polish (not any other breed) does in one day before they are due unless I know they kindle on day 30, then move them in one day prior. Meaning if I know they kindle on day 31 they come in on day 30, but I have couple that kindle day 30 so they'd come in day 29) But my expectation is once they kindle I move them right back out again, the wee kits I keep in the house at night until day 5 or warmish for winter weather hits.

Not sure if you are colony raising how you manage to remove and then put back in. But cage raising.... I expect them to do well outside.

They are in cages, all kits freeze here if outside, so I will always have moms inside for a few weeks.

I'd aim for before day 28 when the nest box would be added and the doe would be establishing their territory and nesting area. For more nervous does I would try to get closer to 2 weeks after breeding because I find that's when the hormones really start to kick in and the colony does start to change their behavior so a more nervous doe may need to be moved by around that time. I do have a few I'd just pitch anywhere last minute with a box and not have any problems but you have to know your rabbits.

You can bring just the kits in. Pull the box out completely and take it out once or twice a day for the doe to feed while you are taking care of everyone and then bring it back in. The doe herself doesn't need to be kept inside around the box all day. They only pay attention to their kits 5-20mins a day.

The kits freeze after they are born, thus the mom needs to be inside before she gives birth and they risk freezing. I will not bring the nest in AM and PM just to feed them. Much rather move mom to live in the coop, right before she gives birth all the way up until the kits are weaned. At that point, all move outside. Kits into their own pen to grow out.

Are you moving the whole cage into the coop? If so, I would move everything in the day you would normally put the box in. I am lucky to have everyone inside but I am thinking of setting up an outside area for just adults and the juveniles. When I do this I plan to bring the does in no earlier than week or so ahead or as late as nestbox day. Please keep us posted on which seems to work best for you.

I have 3 cages in the coop. They will have food/water bowls in them, nest boxes won't be introduced until the day the doe is moving into the cage. Only the doe will move, her cage will be left alone and waiting for her to return.
Already have one doe and 2wk old kits in the coop. Since they make so much mess, I rather limit their time in the coop.

I am not sure if the kits and momma could be moved back out sooner. We have had 10* temps before, so I rather keep the kits indoors as long as possible to avoid any freezing. The coop has no insulation, one huge window, small window, chicken door and human door open most of the day. If it's windy, I do close up what I can. At night everything is closed up except the chicken door.

__________ Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:31 pm __________

Top small picture on the left shows the run and the coop from above.
penset.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:47 pm __________<br /><br />Made doe cages today, need to buy bottom wire for them though. I should of moved the does 2 days ago, but I had no time nor good weather. Was able to redo the doors on the old row cages, too. Sooo much nicer to feed them. Also wired the water down, dang rabbits flip them...Only the Am Chin looks preggo, but we will see.

Nobody here looked pregnant, but first time mom pooped 9 live ones. Best Wishes. It was 18F in the daytime on Monday, nestboxes are in the only warm place, my bedroom.

If you are only moving the doe, I personally would not move them any later than a week ahead of time. Unless, of course, there are extenuating circumstances. With mine, since I move them to the "Maternity Ward" to kindle, I find that this gives them time to settle and get used to the new cage.

__________ Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 am

Weather kept me from building the cages and then I realized I didn't have any floor wire. So, today they moved into their new cages, food, water, hay and nest all waiting for them. They did a little sniffing and one laid down, other started eating the new hay. I used the same nests I gave them last time and I was able to save one whole nest because she didn't potty in it, ate the paper and left it alone. Hoping that helps somewhat.
When I picked up the Sliver Fox, I could tell something was in there, she's just hiding it from me, lol.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:48 pm __________<br /><br />Am Chin is pulling fur!
SF moved her nest and went back to eating.

SF still isn't that interested, she fought with her hay and stomped most of it out. Am Chin made a hay nest, but a ton of fur is in the box nest, she growls at me when I fix the nest. She is piling it up high at the back and it's over flowing, lol. I think she will kindle tonight/tomorrow morning.
No idea about the SF though.

__________ Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:51 pm __________

She had 4 live babies, doing well. One is dead, not sure why, partly because it crawled away, peed on and it had bitten it's own tongue[it was bleeding at some point].
Babies are blue, is that a Am Chin color or the Silver Fox? I did also breed her to the Californian, since the SF wasn't too interested every time.

SF doe, still no kits. Possible she won't have any. She is making a mess of her nest. I'll give her a few more days and then she is going back outside.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:21 pm __________<br /><br />
405685_331008293599352_100000705527207_1094451_1884093624_n.jpg

404374_331007523599429_100000705527207_1094446_1049182141_n.jpg

Back