Late Kindling & delivering on wire

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hovan Homestead

Reaction score
Hi there -

We have had two New Zealand does kindle late: 39 days this time and 32 days the time prior. Both times litters have been small and they have laid them on the wire. This is now the 3rd time one of the does has laid on the wire. None of the kits has survived (a couple made it a few hours the last time. They had no problem with their first litters. We use metal nest boxes. Would love some input. Should we try & breed these does again? Or purchase a new one to breed? Thanks!

Wish I could help but I've limited experience and only with Silver Fox. My one litter was "by the book" although she waited until the day of to make her nest, line it, and kindle. All in a matter of 3 hours.

I'm so sorry to read that you've experienced this multiple times - bet it's frustrating and disheartening.

Was there fur pulled?

My solution if this was happening to me, would be to cover the entire bottom of the cage in hay.

My pure new Zealand doe is a weirdo too. I could see her behaving like this for her first few litters, although I haven't had any experience with other pure breeds (mine are half NZ half Californian, and a half NZ half Florida White).

I like the idea of covering the cage floor, but I might also just give them a cardboard box or a wooden nest box-- give them a choice. I am betting there is some reason they don't like the box itself. I have boxes that I made out of wood with a perforated metal floor just on the back half of the box which seem well received, the floor lets the pee out but the wood is not slippery to walk on, and muffles sounds, so I think it feels more secure.

If you want to test that theory you could also line the floor of the metal boxes with wood or cardboard to see if that makes them more acceptable.

Latest posts

Back