Kits & Nest box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowJudy56210

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm a little concerned and confused. This is my first time having a doe with kits and so far I'm doing pretty good. They are 6 days old (today) and I read alot that your suppose to clean the nest or at least removed anything that can cause nest box eyes. So far I've been making sure the nest is dry and there isn't much hay inside (I take out as much hay that's twined with the fur) but tomorrow is the day that I turn the heating lamp off (Judy doesnt use a nest box, she flipped it to its side so we wont see what shes doing and shes nested using the bottom but not the actual box.) And I don't know if I should move them to the bigger cage or I should wait till they actually start to walk? I have so many questions and I dont want to do the wrong thing. (Judy let's me handle the babies as long as shes out of the cage and has her treats lol).

You definitely should have hay and fur in there, it keeps them warm. Are they in a wire cage? If they are, you should move them to a hutch with a hay areaIMG_20220209_071024560.jpgHeres what I mean

You generally don't have to fuss with the nest a whole lot. leave the fur in the nest. as to moving them, you don't need to move them unless you want to. Is the cage you are thinking of moving them to just have more space? Or is it where you will be moving the growouts too? Or just easier to keep clean? You definitely don't have to move them until they are four weeks old.

The first picture is where I want to move them. Its bigger and has more room. (I'll also be disinfecting the cage so I can swap the buck and the does cages) doe is currently in the smaller cage with the heating lamp (second picture. The lamp goes no high then 95 bcz they keep coming out the nest) as in the last photo that's where the actual nest is. As you see it isn't a real nest box. 4 days before she gave birth, I kept flipping it back and even gave her a box but she kept eating the box. I even put more chewable and she just chose the box. I gave her 2 containers to choose from as well and she chose this one, just to use the side.

Attachments

• 20220213_183741.jpg
    20220213_183741.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220213_183732.jpg
    20220213_183732.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220213_183725.jpg
    20220213_183725.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 13
Wait...so I need to remove some hay? She's got a LOT in her nest box..like some wouldn't fit so she just has it in her cage. Another doe I have kindled on 5/5 , had 5 kits and killed all 5...one of them she ate half of...handling them scares me now because I don't want it to be the reason I'm losing kits. Everyone I know personally says I shouldn't handle them, everyone online says it's safe..

I’m pretty new at this but this has been our experience
1) in terms of handling the kits as newborns : mom knows your smell so she wouldn’t be afraid to have your smell on her babies. Your handling them would not be the reason she killed / ate them. Sometimes if the kits are deformed/ injured or exposed the doe will kill them because she’s afraid they will attract predators. Are there other pets around (dogs or cats?).
Sometimes new moms just get confused about cleaning after the birth and end up biting the babies then have to kill/ eat them for the same reasons as above. They afraid the injured baby will attract a predator so they want to get rid of it. Or sometimes they are just not good moms but that has nothing to do with you handling them.

None of our does ever had a problem with us handling the kits. Our rabbits are pets so they get handled a lot and know our smell.
2) We have never needed a heat lamp. As long as they stay under the hay / straw and fur they’ll be warm
3) Just replace hay / straw as it gets dirty and once they are able to move around more or if they are consistently leaving the box and not going back in you can just put a pile of clean straw / hay / fur in the corner for them to burrow into. Their siblings will help keep them warm too.

Wait...so I need to remove some hay? She's got a LOT in her nest box..like some wouldn't fit so she just has it in her cage. Another doe I have kindled on 5/5 , had 5 kits and killed all 5...one of them she ate half of...handling them scares me now because I don't want it to be the reason I'm losing kits. Everyone I know personally says I shouldn't handle them, everyone online says it's safe..

Nope, don't remove hay unless it's wet or soiled, then replace it with fresh hay.

Are you sure the doe killed them? Eating dead kits is normal behaviour. Eating live kits could be a sign of a deficiency, or, if this happens repeatedly the doe is nuts and deserves an invatation for dinner after the 3rd strike.

You can handle kits, that is no problem. A lot pof people project wildlife rules on rabbits, but rabbits do not care about smell or so. Distract the doe or lock her away when doing it to not stress her. I usually just check a fresh nest for wet bedding and replace it, check the next day for dead kits (just putting the hand in and feeling around), and then leave it alone for a week.

I’m pretty new at this but this has been our experience
1) in terms of handling the kits as newborns : mom knows your smell so she wouldn’t be afraid to have your smell on her babies. Your handling them would not be the reason she killed / ate them. Sometimes if the kits are deformed/ injured or exposed the doe will kill them because she’s afraid they will attract predators. Are there other pets around (dogs or cats?).
Sometimes new moms just get confused about cleaning after the birth and end up biting the babies then have to kill/ eat them for the same reasons as above. They afraid the injured baby will attract a predator so they want to get rid of it. Or sometimes they are just not good moms but that has nothing to do with you handling them.

None of our does ever had a problem with us handling the kits. Our rabbits are pets so they get handled a lot and know our smell.
2) We have never needed a heat lamp. As long as they stay under the hay / straw and fur they’ll be warm
3) Just replace hay / straw as it gets dirty and once they are able to move around more or if they are consistently leaving the box and not going back in you can just put a pile of clean straw / hay / fur in the corner for them to burrow into. Their siblings will help keep them warm too.
All of our animals including dogs are used to one another. Our dogs can not get to our rabbits and we don't have predator issues..

Latest posts

Back