Kits leaving nest

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleeB

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone can give me advice. My momma New Zealand just had a group of kids three days ago. Of course at three days old we are having the biggest hot streak of the summer. Well my babies are wiggling out of their nest. What do I do?!?!? Mom doesn’t seem concerned. I keep putting them back in the nest but I’m checking on them CONSTANTLY as they are getting out. What do I do to keep them in?

If it's that hot and their nest is in a nest-box, let them decide for themselves during the day. The nest-box will keep them from going far.

Check to make sure they feel warm to the touch and have full bellies -- I'm guessing they are wandering because they are uncomfortably hot together in the nest. When it cools off in the evening, then tuck them back into the actual nest.

One other reason kits sometimes wander is if there is a dead kit decomposing under the bedding in the nest. You should check for that too because it will be a magnet for flies and maggots which are very harmful for young kits.

Hope this helps.

If it's that hot and their nest is in a nest-box, let them decide for themselves during the day. The nest-box will keep them from going far.

Check to make sure they feel warm to the touch and have full bellies -- I'm guessing they are wandering because they are uncomfortably hot together in the nest. When it cools off in the evening, then tuck them back into the actual nest.

One other reason kits sometimes wander is if there is a dead kit decomposing under the bedding in the nest. You should check for that too because it will be a magnet for flies and maggots which are very harmful for young kits.

Hope this helps.
Thank you SO much! I assumed they were hot but I was worried about them just roaming around. They are very large and well fed. Mom is doing a great job with them but she’s not a very nice bunny and basically tries to attack me any time I come near them. I did get to look the nest over and did not see anything dead. Everyone was moving and wiggly. Ok I’ll let them roam and put them back at night. This is only my second litter and I’m a nervous bunny mom.

Some does are overprotective of their kits. With some you can remove the whole nest box while wearing a glove and examine the nest and kits away from the doe's cage. One of my first does was a fury when she had a new litter. Once the kits' eyes were open, she went back to being docile again.

If there were any dead kits, you would probably smell them by now given the heat.

Just to be clear, are the kits wandering in the nest-box or in the whole cage?

Some does are overprotective of their kits. With some you can remove the whole nest box while wearing a glove and examine the nest and kits away from the doe's cage. One of my first does was a fury when she had a new litter. Once the kits' eyes were open, she went back to being docile again.

If there were any dead kits, you would probably smell them by now given the heat.

Just to be clear, are the kits wandering in the nest-box or in the whole cage?
The whole cage. They are all over the place.

Oh. that's not so good. Why don't they have a nest-box? You will need to make sure they cannot squeeze out through the wire and fall under the cage. Make sure as well that the access door is tight-fitting.
My cages are made with 1/2” hardware cloth. They aren’t falling through nor am I really worried about that. I’m just worried about them roaming out of the box. They have a large nesting box they keep getting out of. The problem is I don’t have a lip on the nesting box so they can and have ALL DAY gotten out into the cage. It’s almost 100° here.

Also I will be putting a lip on the box as soon as I get home but I have zero doubt 4 of 6 will be roaming.

I wish I could describe my set up. They have wooden boxes attached to their cages. It’s flat. They are having zero problem wiggling out. And yes it’s extremely hot here. I check the temperature in the boxes and it’s cooler than outside. But it’s still around 80° in the box. We’re set to have some relief tomorrow and I’m going to add a lip to the wooden box so they can’t wiggle out as easy.

I got it fixed. Got a lip on the nesting box. No more rouge bunnies. Momma was NOT HAPPY with me but it’s done. I HOPE she doesn’t reject them but she’s in the box with them and won’t leave so I hope not.

I wish I could describe my set up. They have wooden boxes attached to their cages. It’s flat. They are having zero problem wiggling out. And yes it’s extremely hot here. I check the temperature in the boxes and it’s cooler than outside. But it’s still around 80° in the box. We’re set to have some relief tomorrow and I’m going to add a lip to the wooden box so they can’t wiggle out as easy.
You can add a photo to the thread.
hopefully the lip keeps them in, but at less than a week old I’m curious as to how they were getting out too as the sides on my nestboxes are high enough (unless there’s too much hay packed in there) that they can’t get out.

I think I understand your situation. I have seen those cages with an attached nest box where the floors of both are level. Glad you were able to add a bit of a barricade to the entrance! I would be surprised if she ignores her kits. It's kind of a misunderstanding that rabbits will abandon their babies if handled, like birds.

She fed them last night and is now more over protective than ever but they are well cared for. I did screw a small piece of wood on the bottom of the entrance so now they are in the box. It’s cooler today so they haven’t left the nest. Good gracious this litter is super important to us so I’m super nervous about them.

I’m hoping someone can give me advice. My momma New Zealand just had a group of kids three days ago. Of course at three days old we are having the biggest hot streak of the summer. Well my babies are wiggling out of their nest. What do I do?!?!? Mom doesn’t seem concerned. I keep putting them back in the nest but I’m checking on them CONSTANTLY as they are getting out. What do I do to keep them in?
I use a birthing chamber off the side of the mom’s cage. New Zealand mom’s (that’s what I have) can be difficult with the first kindle. Mine have lost all of the first kindle to none. If they aren’t in the nest or gathered together She will not feed them. New Zealand’s are very hands off and usually only nurse the kits once daily and that’s usually at night. They will not help the kits at all. They feed them and some protect the nest. Kits that young should not be out on their own. They need each other to stay warm. It’s the night time temperatures that can kill them even in summer. They need a constant temperature of at least 90 degrees to survive. Sometimes mom will inadvertently drag kits from the nest as they don’t like to let go of the nipple. Best way to remedy that is to make sure that exit from the nest 1 1/2 to 2 incense tall and they will be knocked loose as mom exits. They will learn to jump over it as they get older. New Zealand mom’s can be aggressive in the first few weeks after birth. I learned the hard way and was pretty scratched up. I have leather gloves and partial sleeves that cover my forearms to handle them. You will learn the temperament of your does over time. I usually stay away from the nest for the first week unless there’s a dead kit or a runt not getting fed.

Latest posts

Back