Kits Dehydrating if Not Fed 1x? Hopefully the Last Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
Ok, hopefully my last question about this. I have a great mom with 9 kits, 2 were a bit runty (1 very runty). I see that a lot of people take a few kits out at night to give the runts a better chance.

I really don't want to cause a problem for the more valuable big kits.

The question is - it's 104F in the daytime. Do you think it could cause the 3 fatties to become dehydrated if I take them out overnight and they miss the meal?

Should I
A) Leave all 9 and let the runts fend for themselves
B) Take 3 out and return them when I wake up in a panic at 3 a.m.
C) Take 3 out and not worry about it
D) Take 3 out and put a water nozzle in the nestbox tomorrow so if they are thirsty they can have water.
E) Have a glass of wine and just let nature take its course.

Thanks!
- Liz

@KelleyBee @marshaclark52
@ladysown
@northernnevadahollandlops

Last edited:
well... all of those are options except for the water nozzle... :) could be a great way to soak the kits and ergo lose them all.

Pull the four biggest, leave them in a quiet safe place with some bedding/fur to stay warm, in the same general area as mom. Safe generally means an empty cage that no predators can get into. In high heat I'd honestly just make sure they have a safe spot to cuddle into and forgo all but the tiniest bit of fur. Pull them at 11 return them by 9. Mom will have fed the others. if you see no difference in the runty kits I'd honestly let nature take it's course.
I generally though, never intervene.

My premise is this. ALL kits are born with equal opportunities. Some will fight to survive, others will not. I have lost enough rabbits over the years to know that I want rabbits with a strong will to survive. I'd rather lose them in the nestbox than as a recently kindled doe who says "I'm going to die from the stress of having little ones". Been there, done that, hate it thoroughly.
The stricter I am with health/survival issues, the less problems I see in the rabbitry.

But my strictness isn't for everyone and some have a desire to save them all. I am not one of them. well.. I am BUT I've learned to toughen up I suppose. look at the big long-term picture. :)

well... all of those are options except for the water nozzle... :) could be a great way to soak the kits and ergo lose them all.

Pull the four biggest, leave them in a quiet safe place with some bedding/fur to stay warm, in the same general area as mom. Safe generally means an empty cage that no predators can get into. In high heat I'd honestly just make sure they have a safe spot to cuddle into and forgo all but the tiniest bit of fur. Pull them at 11 return them by 9. Mom will have fed the others. if you see no difference in the runty kits I'd honestly let nature take it's course.
I generally though, never intervene.

My premise is this. ALL kits are born with equal opportunities. Some will fight to survive, others will not. I have lost enough rabbits over the years to know that I want rabbits with a strong will to survive. I'd rather lose them in the nestbox than as a recently kindled doe who says "I'm going to die from the stress of having little ones". Been there, done that, hate it thoroughly.
The stricter I am with health/survival issues, the less problems I see in the rabbitry.

But my strictness isn't for everyone and some have a desire to save them all. I am not one of them. well.. I am BUT I've learned to toughen up I suppose. look at the big long-term picture. :)
I agree completely with you! However, these two were quite a bit smaller than their siblings so they did not start on equal footing no matter what. And the one that is the smallest is the cutest and I already have it sold if I can make sure it's healthy LOL

Bringing up Chip again because he's the only runt I've had..

He had two brothers (I still have one) so I would leave all three in the nest box and take the nest box out and put it in an empty cage so they would be safe. I kept them in there for about an hour (With his nest box and the other nursing Doe's nest box and babies) and then I would hold the Does and put Chip on them to feed about twice a day, turning to once a day, and he did great

Back