Kits covered in urine

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t had any problems with chewing the plastic totes as of yet. Hopefully I don’t. On mine I have four inches of tunnel going into the tote. It’s not sealed or trimmed with anything around the inside of the tote. I just made sure I cut the hole slightly smaller than the tunnel diameter that way I can get a tight fit. Using the 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch wire I can bend it to fit. Doing that there are no edges for them to chew on. I used a jig saw also which was a bit scary when cutting due too the area not being flat. Definitely be careful.

The deeper the tote the better. Once you start packing the bedding material it will raise the bottom up. Which can cause a kit to roll into the tunnel or be dragged out of the tote when momma leaves from feeding. I haven’t had it happen to me but did notice it when setting up everything.

I haven’t had any problems with chewing the plastic totes as of yet. Hopefully I don’t. On mine I have four inches of tunnel going into the tote. It’s not sealed or trimmed with anything around the inside of the tote. I just made sure I cut the hole slightly smaller than the tunnel diameter that way I can get a tight fit. Using the 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch wire I can bend it to fit. Doing that there are no edges for them to chew on. I used a jig saw also which was a bit scary when cutting due too the area not being flat. Definitely be careful.

The deeper the tote the better. Once you start packing the bedding material it will raise the bottom up. Which can cause a kit to roll into the tunnel or be dragged out of the tote when momma leaves from feeding. I haven’t had it happen to me but did notice it when setting up everything.
Can you share photos of your set-up?

I have had some non-chewers, and some that will chew anything. I wonder if roof flashing over edges would help?

I use plastic totes too. I like that they are easy to clean and I can open the lid for easy access. In the 10 gallon totes, I used a jigsaw to cut the opening and a small drill bit for the ventilation/ emergency drainage holes in the bottom. But I just got a set of four from Walmart that are a great size and already have an opening. All my buns love them for hidey holes too. I have had any winter litters yet, though we just bred one of our does yesterday and I'll breed another next week.

Robot or human? (Not sure why it says that, but it's a link to the totes)
This is when I wish I raised a small breed!! I like the fact that you could bring in the totes to the house with the lid on to prevent the wind from stealing all the fur! And they would be lightweight for in the cages and in my arms. And they could stack on the way to the house nicely and without being too heavy. And they can be wiped clean. And dried off easily with a cloth... :)

Can you share photos of your set-up?
Sure. These pictures we’re taking this morning. The kits love that area in the tote. I believe it’s because that’s where momma nested at. I figured the momma would best towards the back of the tote but she nested in the front left corner. Couldn’t understand why she would do that but it makes sense to me. Definitely more safer for the kits when it comes to getting trampled on. All of her kits survived.
My doe “brownie” had a litter Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning and she nested off to the side of the tunnel. All of her kits looks to be in good health and alive.
The only doe that lost a kit had her kits in the back of the tote. She lost two which were dead at birth. The rest of the litter are alive and well.
Our closest Walmart for some reason was out of totes except for a 18g tote and a oversized lid. I guess everyone needed a place for Christmas decorations. Still working but will be replaced with a much bigger tote and correct size lid.

you can see how tight of a fit the tunnel is going into the tote. I have no problem as of now with chewing.

Attachments

• 06C44B1E-CD0C-4F3F-ACE6-67FD7445F261.jpeg
    06C44B1E-CD0C-4F3F-ACE6-67FD7445F261.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 13
  • E8A9DA58-4036-411C-ACD1-45EAC0D3654A.jpeg
    E8A9DA58-4036-411C-ACD1-45EAC0D3654A.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 28763C62-C9C6-4C11-9BE6-156CE446795F.jpeg
    28763C62-C9C6-4C11-9BE6-156CE446795F.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 13
  • B3FF301B-6474-47D3-92AD-21F6EE133967.jpeg
    B3FF301B-6474-47D3-92AD-21F6EE133967.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 13
  • FEA07D49-E19B-4E08-8ADD-7ED7240AE0A8.jpeg
    FEA07D49-E19B-4E08-8ADD-7ED7240AE0A8.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 09518F92-4481-4DAE-B51B-ABECDD8ADE3D.jpeg
    09518F92-4481-4DAE-B51B-ABECDD8ADE3D.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 13
  • 947CD523-5954-4BF9-BBB3-708F23882F2C.jpeg
    947CD523-5954-4BF9-BBB3-708F23882F2C.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 13
  • FB1F593D-FF32-4FA5-9948-98EAC8A412A4.jpeg
    FB1F593D-FF32-4FA5-9948-98EAC8A412A4.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 13
Sure. These pictures we’re taking this morning. The kits love that area in the tote. I believe it’s because that’s where momma nested at. I figured the momma would best towards the back of the tote but she nested in the front left corner. Couldn’t understand why she would do that but it makes sense to me. Definitely more safer for the kits when it comes to getting trampled on. All of her kits survived.
My doe “brownie” had a litter Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning and she nested off to the side of the tunnel. All of her kits looks to be in good health and alive.
The only doe that lost a kit had her kits in the back of the tote. She lost two which were dead at birth. The rest of the litter are alive and well.
Our closest Walmart for some reason was out of totes except for a 18g tote and a oversized lid. I guess everyone needed a place for Christmas decorations. Still working but will be replaced with a much bigger tote and correct size lid.

you can see how tight of a fit the tunnel is going into the tote. I have no problem as of now with chewing.

Thanks for the pictures! I can see what you are talking about with the tunnel now. Looks like there aren't any raw edges on the tub they could get their teeth around because of the way you did it. Nice!

Thank you for the photos. They help a lot. It looks like you are raising Silver Foxes, yes?

Thank you for the photos. They help a lot. It looks like you are raising Silver Foxes, yes?
Yes I’m raising silver foxes. I have two bucks, two doe silver fox, and a mix doe. I believe she is mixed with silver fox also.

Good to know about the plastic totes. I was wondering if they could be used instead of wood. I have been using those cat litter bins for their hidey holes, and the smallest rabbit's nest box.

IMG_20220121_095631386.jpg

I have a litter of 2 week old kits and the weather has gone down to 19F and still dropping. Tamuks are raised for heat tolerance, so don't have as much fur. I was worried about them, and the water bottle idea sounded great! Then my husband reminded me about a heating pad we had bought for our tiny dog. I caught it on Amazon for about $7 (don't know why it was that cheap) I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Anyway, it has a chew-resistant cord (wrapped in metal). I put it under the box, set it to 95F and checked this morning - cozy! Here is the one like the one I got, but it's not $7 anymore :( The rabbit that I put it in with doesn't seem to be a chewer, but I don't think it would be a problem. However, I'm going to keep an eye on it!

Latest posts

Back