Kit will only eat greens (natural feeding advice needed)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zass

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so...long story short...There was a digestive upset in my herd, possibly started by a feed ingredient change up, but I think the actual pathogen that took advantage of their compromised systems was something simple like e-coli, possibly picked up from a human at just the wrong time. The two worst hit were the two smallest kits in totally separate litters. (One inside the house, one out in the rabbitry) Anyway, it amounts to what most would call weaning enteritis, and one kit did have the full blown mucoid enteritis that is so commonly fatal. That kit had to be culled, because she reached a point where she was obviously suffering very much, and wasn't going to recover.

The other kit, Fader, had had some diarrhea, but seemed to be moving towards GI stasis. Both exhibited signs of severe GI pain at one point.

As far as I know, there is no real effective treatment for enteritis in babies, just electrolytes, smethicone, herbs to dry up diarrhea and settle the tummy. So that's what I gave them.

Fader was also hand fed mashed pumpkin for the first two days, because she refused to eat on her own.
Gi stasis had almost set in completely.
Then when I was trying to tempt her to eat, I saw she wanted...grapefruit?? :? Well, she was licking it off my hands while refusing all other foods.
So I thought, "Why not? I'm going to lose her unless something changes, and for some reason she actually WANTS this stuff :roll: ."
She started nibbling small amounts of grapefruit peel. than larger amounts.
She continued to refuse oats hay or pellets. But she started accepting strawberry and raspberry leaves, and a little lemon balm, tarragon and fennel. The stems from the apples. (She was given access to the produce counter) She hasn't had the slightest bit of interest in grapefruit since. She has nibbled the banana peels.

We have increased the greens to comfrey, dandelion, rose leaves, oregano, dill , and flat leaf parsley. Mostly giving her access to a good variety and letting her chose what she wants. The dandelions are her favorites. Everything is fresh from my garden. She's lucky I have a well established herb bed!!!

image.php

It's not how I normally raise kits, I tend to keep them strictly on pellets, oats, and hay until after 8 weeks.

But it's been a week now and her appetite and energy have gotten stronger every day. She's still refusing oats but I have seen her nibbling a little hay... I think. Without the greens she would have already been dead.

Her poops are very small and hard. Like "recovering from GI stasis" poops.

I have no idea how to forage feed a 6 week old kit. Especially without oats and hay as a backdrop. THANKFULLY she is still nursing from her mother. She was too sick and miserable to for a few days, but the last two nights I've seen her under her mother with her siblings. I haven't offered any grass, should I? I've also added a little goats milk to the menu, because she was willing, and I felt she needed more calories.

Oh, I've been giving the doe (Mucky) small amounts of all the same plants, so that she can hopefully pass along (via cecotrope) well adjusted gut fauna. Thankfully, Mucky has an iron stomach and is used to being given a little bit of everything.

While alive, Fader is about 1/3 the weight of her siblings. (and in need of a better name, I'd rather she didn't constantly try to live up to it)

FEEDING ADVICE PLEASE???? What would you guys do if she was yours? (and you were trying to keep her alive.)

I would continue feeding her the way she is. If she is happy and eating I wouldn't fight it. Just let get get going well and then add back the pellets.

I thought perhaps it could be stepping stone toward natural feeding. If I could keep one rabbit on a pellet free diet...then maybe I'd eventually be able to work the others off with time.

I would continue with what you are doing, but making the hay and oats available... In time she may take to them. Old-fashioned kitchen oatmeal is more appealing to many rabbits than whole oats. It sounds to me as though she was self-medicating from the offered variety of greens. Some rabbits seem to have the instinct to do this and I think it is very helpful when they do.

When she stops nursing, she may not be getting enough calories... although she is eating more or less what wild rabbits do, so perhaps it will not be a problem. She may need more protein and adding alfalfa, clover, willow and mulberry could help.

Herbs and leafy vegetables are good, but I would take a look at the Safe Plants sticky and increase the variety of weeds you are feeding, gradually over time.
safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

Zass, I read this post about someone trying to treat their rabbit for diarrhea on another forum. It sounds like your rabbits are past the diarrhea stage but thought the links and the information on here where good things to know in general, it names the drug used to treat e.coli, and might help if it ever happens again.

(Post from jbun on rabbitsonline)
There are three common causes of profuse diarrhea in rabbits- e. coli bacteria, clostridium bacteria, and coccidia protozoa, with the clostridium bacteria being the most severe due to toxins created, so needs to be treated within hours of onset. The best way to determine what is affecting your bun is to have a fecal float test done. If this isn't possible, you may have to treat for all three. Clostridium needs to be treated with the antibiotic metronidazole. Both e. coli and coccidia can be treated with trimethoprim/sulfa. He also needs to be kept hydrated with an electrolyte solution, sub q injections from the vet may be needed as well.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... tis_en.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... occ_en.htm (GRAPHIC PHOTOS)
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medicati ... s_main.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medica ... iotics.htm

I know you are in a difficult situation, but I would suggest to never allow a vet to inject your rabbit with anything without knowing first what exactly it is. Especially when it is a vet not experienced with rabbits. Some common dog and cat medications can be fatal if given to rabbits. If you can, find out what that vet injected. Your other vet may be able to call that vet to find out if they won't tell you. It's possible if this vet injected a bad antibiotic that it is making matters much worse.

making the hay and oats available Old-fashioned kitchen oatmeal is more appealing to many rabbits than whole oats

Yep, old fashioned kitchen oatmeal is offered several times a day, and given in small quantities to the other kits in the litter as well. Soft grass hay is available 24-7. I did finally see her eating some grass hay today.

She may need more protein and adding alfalfa, clover, willow and mulberry could help.

Thanks for the tips! I'll see about sourcing some of those. Unfortunately, the mulberries I planted two years ago didn't survive. :( The ground is pretty wet and partially shaded. Maybe I can order some willows? Are scrub or bush willows just as good as tree type willows? Or I should say, "what type of small willow is best to plant for rabbits?"

I would suggest to never allow a vet to inject your rabbit with anything without knowing first what exactly it is.

Right!

And thanks for the info on antibiotics! It will be very helpful for others also looking at this thread.

Honestly my herd has been antibiotic free so far.

No one had ever told me how hard it would be to lose valuable stock (especially since I see them more as friends and partners than "stock") all the while knowing there are antibiotics that might have saved them.

I mostly strive for naturally strong immune systems, and have taken some pretty hard losses due to it. I have learned how precious and hard won those "antibiotic free" labels are on grocery store products.

On the bright side, 26 out of 27 of my kits were able to fight off whatever it was on their own. One had her problem complicated by GI stasis (Fader), and one we chose to cull due to obvious suffering. She may have survived had she been placed on antibiotics during the early stages of her illness.

All the rest recovered quickly without complications.
I did lose about a weeks worth of growth in all my juniors. They simply DID NOT GROW for about 7 days.
Fader is living on herbs and greens while her GI tract is getting back to where it needs to be. I added chickweed and cilantro to her menu today.

She's a strange kit, but OH SO LOVING. Today she was after all my foods. Spicy BBQ sauce, fruit sorbet, gouda cheese. :shock: I had to put my foot down. RABBITS DON"T EAT THAT STUFF! I told her to stick with the goats milk, greens, and just a bit of apple.

She is probably eating what is necessary while her insides heal up. There was possibly damage done and the greens are helping her heal. She will probably start to get really hungry when she's all healed up and eat you out of house and home soon. She is one of the most beautiful rabbits I've ever seen and I hope she gets completely over this. She looks like an Annie to me or maybe a Twist since the story of her life has so many plot twists.

If you have bananas aroound, giving her a chunk of that would be fine and seems to be filling, even if a sugar. Bananas seem to be easy on the stomach compared to a lot of other fruits. Did you say you were feeding plantain (the weed?). That would be good. She sounds like an excellent candiate for natural feeding because her instincts on self-medicating sound strong. Keeping my fingers crossed!
I'm hesitating a bit on suggestions because my rabbits are meat mutts who seem to have iron stomachs. When I transistioned my original stock to a natural diet I did it in a bad way (out of ignorance) and started feeding any safe food in large quantities immediately. They were just fine. So I am not sure if they are a normal group to use as an example because I think I just got lucky by havimg base stock that handle it well, and the rest of my breeding stock so far are their descendants.

What a cute little bun!

This sounds like a perfect way to continue to test a natural feed diet. I would continue to feed her greens, adding new ones from the "safe plants" list as I went. I would continue to give her oatmeal oats as well, as I have found them good for adding a bit of weight. I would also look into a mineral block, and leave a hunk where she can get to it.

I do all of this, except the mineral block, with all of my rabbits from the time their eyes open. I really believe it has helped me to reduce losses as the kits are accustomed to everything they might find in mom's cage.

*fingers crossed Gloria (that is what she looks like to me) continues to do well*

The oats were accepted! One step closer to considering her an OK rabbit. :fireworks1:
I know I shouldn't celebrate until her weight is back up. It's too easy to lose em.

We added greater plaintain and banana to the menu today, she had nibbled at the peels but didn't like them. I guess I have to peel them for her. :roll:

Mineral block! I'll have to get that in there. Most of my cages have them, but this inside pen doesn't.

I thank everyone for the naming suggestions too. :) I think I might just have to give the whole litter "little girl" type names, since they are so sweet and small and fancy.

image.php

I also let her do a bit of foraging on her own. She had dandelions and just a bit of grass. How safe is the grass?

She really is the sweetest, cutest little thing. My buns don't like banana peels either. My founding buck used to eat them somewhat reluctantly, but after I peeled them a few times he refused to it them again. That's ok--if there are any odd pesticides or other possible contaminants the bananas come in contact with while traveling to the store, it stays with the peel. I've not had a problem with my buns grazing on grass (no dogs around that would pollute it?) but others may have more info--there's a higher risk of parasites or disease I believe. When I gather wild greens I'll rinse them in a bucket with water and vinegar to rinse off anything.

image.php

Wanted to let everyone know she's been feeling a LOT better. Mom's still nursing so I'm still supplementing with concentrated goats milk.
Yeah, this kit has way too much ear control, well, she's the ONLY kit in the litter with any ear control at all, and she's not brood stock, so I forgiver her.

I saw her dip her nose into the pellet bowl for the first time last night. I suppose It's both good and bad. It means she's feeling well enough to eat even the pellets, but I was hoping to keep her on greens and grains.

I do not intend to wean them until their mother is ready, and she's still nursing. Good girl that she is.

I will keep up with separating her to feed greens and oats, and maybe she will not want too much of the pellets. The kit is being offered greens, oats, and small pieces of organic banana or apple about 8 times a day, because she doesn't eat too much at once. Coming off GI stasis and underweight, so we want to keep things moving.

__________ Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:51 pm __________

image.php

I wanted to let everyone know she's doing quite well on her natural bunny diet. She's really spoiled rotten, and begs to be picked up every times she see's me.

See, the routine is to scoop her up and carry her around the herb garden picking bits of this and that to hand directly to her waiting mouth. I've learned quite a bit about how to best please a rabbit's sense of taste.

Yes, that's me...and yes...I am over 30. I happen to have more idiosyncrasies than I can keep track of. :lol: Wearing a glow-in-the-dark skeleton hoodie to feed the baby rabbit from my garden at 3 am is probably the least of them.

Wow, it looks like I'm holding her really tight in that pic, well, I'm not. She's not really in my hand so much as laying on it. She just sprawls when I carry her. Trust me, that animal is delicate. Between hand feeding her in the nestbox, and again as she grew, we have finally made it to almost 8 weeks old. If I was ever anything less than very sensitive and careful with her, she wouldn't be here to take pictures of right now.

Oh, and I did finally name the little girl, since she's both unsellable and unbreedable. In other words, I'm stuck with her. :roll:
She's Faelee.

image.php

image.php

This is how limp she generally is when I'm holding her. Just totally relaxed bunny in my hands. Most kits would be trying to get their feet underneath them, instead of dangling and laying against me like that. It worries me, but she is eating and showing no other signs of illness.
I decided with her to just be happy so long as she has the will to live and isn't suffering.

Oh, and has anyone else noticed those fail-ears? WAY too much ear control for a lop. She's the only kit in the litter like that, so I guess I'll just accept it as one of her idiosyncrasies. ;)

Oh, and I'm still not sure if she is a chocolate tort or a very lightly marked black tort. I'm not really seeing the red eye sheen that most of my chocolates have.

OH!! She is just adorable!! I would take her in a heartbeat :D How could you not love that face! and those ears! even though they maybe fail as lop ears they make her unique :p

No matter how her ears are I can not find anything but ADORABLE. I am glad that she is improving and is just one really relaxed bunny around you. :p Who knows, maybe she just isn't a morning bunny :lol:

Sagebrush":10wou7dk said:
No matter how her ears are I can not find anything but ADORABLE. I am glad that she is improving and is just one really relaxed bunny around you. :p Who knows, maybe she just isn't a morning bunny :lol:

Morning bunny? I have to take her out and feed her at least 8 times a day. She isn't an afternoon or an evening, or a late night bunny either :lol:

Affectionate litter beggar. I know she's adorable enough to adopt out, but I wouldn't want to give her to someone and just...have her die on them. She's too sweet and holdable, it would be devastating to a pet owner or a little kid.

Back