kit not eating

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
One of snuggles kits doesnt seem to be eating. The one kit is always nice and fat, where the other one is more flabby, and about half the size. I have tried to just give him feeding time on his own. For the first minute he tries to latch on but then tires out, I dont know if he is getting any food at all. They are 3 days old now but I dont think he will make it much longer without a good feeding, he is starting to get weaker. Should I get some milk replacer and try to hand feed him, or is it for the best to put him down? I really wish I knew what is wrong

Do you really want that kit to be a member
of your breeding program?
If it were mine I'd put it down,
but that's just me!
Ottersatin. C.V.R. :eek:ldtimer:

Could be "Failure to Thrive" it is an actual condition, even human babies can have it - for whatever reason they just do not thrive and will eventually die. No known reason, treatment or cure.

thanks. Not what I really wanted to hear, but I was kind of expecting that :( I gave him several chances to nurse, and even though he tries he never seems to get anything I know she has milk since the other one always looks like he swallowed a beachball. At least i have 1 very active and strong kit.

Sorry to hear of your trouble- I think it makes it harder on us with a small litter like that, because we naturally want them all to make it, and it is such a blow to lose one.

I have three litters right now, and have noticed a couple weaker ones. I am going to just let nature take its course and see how they do. The last thing I want to do is breed a lack of thrift into my herd. Sadly, I have noticed that it is my brokens that seem to be the weaker kits and are first to go.

I did try to save Feather's last litter because I believe it was a milk production issue on her end, since none of the kits ever appeared fed. Out of 8, I have two. Now I am unsure what the future holds for them- are they the strongest kits and therefore merit being bred, or just the lucky ones out of a poor litter? They both have Astrex coats, with the doe's being the most extreme, so I'd love to have them in my Astrex program... and they are super sweet from all the handling, so I know my heart will try to overcome common sense.

I have noticed in cats that milk production is highest in the teats near the groin, and less as you move toward the front legs. Does anyone know if this holds true for rabbits as well?

I didnt have to cull him, he was already dead when I went to check on them, :(

Is there anything I should worry about with the single kit? Hopefully since they are in the house I shouldnt have to worry about it getting to cold, she doesnt cover him back up when she is done nursing. Also can a kit be fed too much? She feeds him twice a day and he looks like he is going to explode after each feeding!

Oh, sorry you lost the little guy. :( I would worry about the kit getting totally spoiled and super friendly! I'm not sure of the answers to your other questions though- not enough experience.

MamaSheepdog":3uhj4xnf said:
Sorry to hear of your trouble- I think it makes it harder on us with a small litter like that, because we naturally want them all to make it, and it is such a blow to lose one.

I have three litters right now, and have noticed a couple weaker ones. I am going to just let nature take its course and see how they do. The last thing I want to do is breed a lack of thrift into my herd. Sadly, I have noticed that it is my brokens that seem to be the weaker kits and are first to go.

I did try to save Feather's last litter because I believe it was a milk production issue on her end, since none of the kits ever appeared fed. Out of 8, I have two. Now I am unsure what the future holds for them- are they the strongest kits and therefore merit being bred, or just the lucky ones out of a poor litter? They both have Astrex coats, with the doe's being the most extreme, so I'd love to have them in my Astrex program... and they are super sweet from all the handling, so I know my heart will try to overcome common sense.

I have noticed in cats that milk production is highest in the teats near the groin, and less as you move toward the front legs. Does anyone know if this holds true for rabbits as well?

I noticed the same thing about the brokens. They were unable to suck, even by themselves, with me holding the doe and putting them on a teat, they would not latch on. The first I tried hard to keep it, when I noticed the second struggling, I culled it immediately.

Latest posts

Back