Kit help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyPuddingpuff

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My angora doe, Princess, kindled 7 live wigglies a few days ago, she was bred to an angora buck, Scamp. This is her second litter, the first was unsuccessful, she gave birth to 2 stillborn kits, and another stillborn two days later that was huge, furred and had no eyes.

I also rescue rabbis that have been dumped in the area (I moved to South Africa from the uk, and now live on a huge plot) one of these dumped rescues, Flash, had 2 live kits 3 weeks ago. She was already pregnant when I took her in, not an intentional breeding.

Princess seems completely overwhelmed with 7, and I don’t think her milk has come in properly yet. 3 of the kits look a little skinny, but are still warm, wiggly and skin not wrinkled. Would I be able to let the kits feed from flash for a few days till princess starts lactating? I’m not sure if a doe produces different milk for newborns as they do for older kits.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

you could try, .. the milk from a different mother, would not be an issue. You would have to remove all of the does 3 week old kits, rub the new kits with bedding material from the mother's nest, then keep a careful eye on the situation, to make sure she does not attack the "strangers" kits.
- You could also try [if she is not wild] setting her on on a towel, over the new kits, and hold her while the new kits nurse.

Their milk does change

Early in lactation it is much fattier and slowly waters down

Another option is to set up a second nest and pull out the 4 fattest/ biggest milk bellies each evening so the thinner kits have a chance to fill up.

Latest posts

Back