Kind of urgent breeding question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWolf

Reaction score
So, today I'm breeding my first-time-breeding-buck to my once-bred-but-no-litters-doe. She's playing hard to get... grunting, running away, occasionally wagging her tail.

He's covered her once. He tried at 3 times, but once he was too far forward, and the other time she wouldn't lift. Now they're laying together. Would it be OK for me to separate them, then breed again this evening, when they are more active? Would that mess up her litter, if some of the eggs are fertilized hours after the others? I need an answer before its too late to breed her again today...

Any advice for how to get them to breed? They like each other- they're laying down together, and cuddling- but she keeps running away, and he's not very experienced.

Thanks in advance!<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:41 pm __________<br /><br />From a google search, I think that I can't re-breed after eight hours. Is that correct?

Yes, you can breed them again this evening. Tomorrow morning would be too long.

As far as how to get the job done with an inexperienced buck... well, I'm going through that myself right now. Poor boy has no idea why these girls keep showing up! :lol: He's pretty young, though... just needs some time.

Thanks!! I think I'll separate them, and try again in a couple hours... then if that doesn't work, I'll try again this evening.

If I have a buck that only covers the doe once or twice during the first encounter, I will try again that evening. I usually breed one pair as many times as I can within 48 hours. I find that it gives me a MUCH better chance at getting a litter.

This is so frustrating- she waggs her tail, then lays down with her butt usually in the air. He comes over, sniffs her, tries, and then she runs away, wagging her tail! Then he gets discouraged. And he's tried to do the wrong end at least 3 times...
I've tried holding her, but she won't lift or sit still for long... I guess I'll just try ever hour.

__________ Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:57 pm __________

Anyone have tips on restraining her so that he can breed her? That would be extremely helpful.<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:12 pm __________<br /><br />One more question- does he have to fall off in order for her eggs to be fertilized? Her butt is wet, so I know he released, but he hasn't fallen off...

I just went through this with a virgin buck. To be honest, ALL of my bucks were having an issue with this particular doe. Took me a week to get her bred... everyone was aiming too high or for the wrong end. She was ready, too, but no one was aiming well.

As to the fall off, while I think it's possible for the eggs to be fertilized without it, I think it's pretty rare. The fall off, or sharp 'tuck', is an indicator that they've actually penetrated the vaginal canal. One of my experienced bucks was literally juuuuust to the right of her girl parts, and she was wet, but I didn't get a fall off with that.

WildWolf":5f0f28sx said:
This is so frustrating-
__________ Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:57 pm __________

Anyone have tips on restraining her so that he can breed her? That would be extremely helpful.

I just grab the doe at the neck with my left hand, hold her to the cage floor, shove my right hand under to force her up, wag her little end a bit and the buck goes to it. Once he falls off I wait a minute, then wag her again and he's back to it. Twice in the morning, twice in the evening. Seems to do the trick here...

The buck has to cover atleast 1 time (preferably 2/3 times) to make sure the job is done. If he only mounted her and made her back wet then that's no indication that she is going to be pregnant. You're going to wait a whole month not know if she is pregnant or not. So to get that out of the way i would make sure that he cover her before you give up on breeding them.

I did this today with a 4 month old unexperienced buck and he covered 4x with a problem, ofcourse this is different with every buck. It has much to do with their personality and temperament. My doe was laying flat, lifted a bit but not all the way so i helped by pulling her tail up with my left hand and shoved my right hand under her pelvis area to lift her butt and give him easier acces.. it took seconds and he did it.

In your case you have to lift the tail and butt up because the tail is in the way and no way a buck can get passed it if the doe doesnt cooperate like yours. Also, tail wagging means that the doe is agitated and tells the buck to leave her alone.

Huh, that's weird. I've heard both things about tail wagging- that it means "leave me alone" and that it means "I'm excited and going to tease you"...
I wanted to add: she was deffinitely relaxed. She ran away, then immediately plopped down with her legs out. She also groomed him, and cuddled a lot.

Either way, I figured out why she was cuddling, and relaxed, and he covered her multiple times without ever falling off. She was pregnant! Four weeks ago, he escaped into her pen one week before I planned on breeding them (silly rabbit. too eager!) She was due last Friday. She showed no signs of pregnancy- she was acting normal, not grouchy, eating normal, she wasn't building a nest, and her belly was normal-sized, and I didn't feel anything (but I'm not good at palpating and I palpated last week, not this week). So, I "bred" her to my buck. But, the day after I "bred" her, she built a beautiful nest and had 5 kits! Her hormones must have finally kicked in. So, she was pregnant, and willing to cuddle, but of course Quasar was never successful (this time).

Hm... If you have a first time doe, or a doe whose hormones kick in a little late, would letting her spend some time with the buck make her hormones kick in on time? That's what seemed to happen here.

Latest posts

Back