Keeping rabbits inside - cage cleaning/waste mgmt issues

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire Ant Farm

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice, but am not entirely sure how to ask my question. I originally was certain I would keep my meat rabbits outdoors. But the more I keep thinking about it, the more I'm thinking that that might not be the best plan.

I am trying to decide between getting a stackable cage system or hanging cages on a PVC frame and keeping my rabbits outdoors, vs. getting a Rabbitech system and keeping them indoors in air conditioning (not a garage, but not human living space - a large room/area in the house that I use now for tools, fishing gear storage and my big commercial freezer. Floor is hard wood - already somewhat damaged, so does not need extreme protection.) Yes, the Rabbitech system is expensive, but I started doing some comparative cost accounting taking everything into account and here's my reasoning for leaning toward the second option:

I figure with the stacking cage or a hanging cage set up, it will really have to be outside to be sanitary (too hard to manage otherwise, sanitary-wise, due to poo and pee flinging and awkward tray emptying or other waste cleaning tasks). HOWEVER, in addition to cage purchase, I would need to buy/build a sturdy, secure small shed or barn, figure out predator protection (I have lots of predators), and have the added stress of trying to manage them/keep them alive in my very very very hot climate (despite planning to get relatively heat resistant TAMUK line NZWs), including ensuring lots of ventilation, shade, etc., etc. And the best place to build this shed would be RIGHT where I was planning to build my new chicken coop. :evil:

If I keep them indoors, with something like the Rabbitech which would presumably do a much tidier job of waste management, I could keep them cool (and so breed year round), keep them safe from predators, tend them in comfort, and keep them out of the sight of any nosy neighbors (though I am allowed to have rabbits by code, I'm not interested in people being all in my business). As I work full time, it would also help with maintenance. The savings of not having to build a structure to house them outdoors plus fencing/predator protection would go pretty far to offset the additional cost of the Rabbitech vs. cages and frames. And, well, part of the whole point of this for me is to raise my own meat in such a way that I feel that the animals are cared for as well as possible during their lives, and while I know many folks manage to raise rabbits in the heat, them being in 102F doesn't seem like a kindness if I have a good alternative indoor space available. I should add that it could also allow me to keep a couple French Angora rabbits in the future, as that appeals to me as well, and they REALLY wouldn't be able to be outdoors without getting heat stroke.

My thought is to have a Rabbitech double-sided starter and a double sided add-on for total of maybe 10-12 holes (for two bucks, two does, growout pens, and space to keep replacement does/bucks later or add other rabbits). I'd put it smack in the middle of the room with plenty of clearance all around. I figure I'd put down linoleum over the existing wood floor for ease of floor cleaning/disinfection. There is an adjacent bathroom as water source (current home of fishing gear!) and there's a door directly to the outside where I can run a hose for drainage when cleaning/flushing the system. I believe the cages can be lifted out and cleaned outside (I would confirm this with them before committing, of course).

So, does my reasoning sound, well... sound? Specifically, do you think it is reasonable to hope that I will be able to keep the space appropriately clean/maintained?

(Important notes: I am NOT handy, and trying to build something myself tends to lead to injury, wasted money, and piles of materials piled up in the yard. Not my skill set. My job also keeps me pretty busy, so though I certainly have evenings and weekends to myself, there's not a lot of "extra" time for lengthy projects, since I already keep chickens and have an enormous garden and will be adding a small orchard soon.)

I'd welcome any insight from folks who have kept rabbits indoors regarding how to manage the sanitation...

(Gosh, that was a rambling post - maybe I needed to "talk out loud to myself" about it? Anyhow, thanks for listening!)

- Ant Farm

It sounds to me like you have a well thought out plan. Go for it.

Sounds like a great plan to me!
We have two sets of triple stacked cages in a space that sounds similar to yours - indoors but not in living space. Though we don't have the system you are speaking of it works great for us to have them in this space. They are safe and get more attention all year round because we don't have to go out in the weather!
If you do go this route share some pictures with us all! It's always fun to see others rabbit projects!

Thank you for the responses. I honestly think it helped me most just to figure out how to describe everything when composing the post. By the time I had finally finished and edited and re-edited, I seemed to have covered all of it. I had convinced myself - apparently I've convinced you as well! :D

I AM pleased with the idea of "bunny therapy" indoors. After suddenly losing a beloved 14 year old cat, followed quickly by the (in this case expected) decline and death of a 14 year old greyhound (my sweet Froggy), I decided to take a break from pets in my intimate living space (having a large dog in diapers for a year, who needed assistance to stand for her final months, will do that to almost anyone). The only "pets" I have right now are my Crested Cream Legbar chickens (who are hysterical, but that's another post. They're named after TV food celebrities - Paula, after Paula Deen, and Jenny and Lissa, after the Two Fat Ladies (Jennifer and Clarissa). They are as goofy and ravenous as their namesakes. And they all have a hairdo like Elvis.) But while they love me very much and love limited lap time, in the end, they value grub-hunting opportunities more than quality time with Mommy. (At least they're good foragers!) I could use a good cuddle, and happy healthy bunnies are very important to me.

I realize that with some things, you have to just learn by doing. But I never hesitate to ask, in case someone has some words of wisdom to share. (Even if it's a horror story.) E.g., how I learned NEVER to brood chicks indoors in my living space. EVER. Doesn't matter how cute they are. Ugh.

As Confucius said, "By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." I'm all about avoiding the bitter, though I regretfully acknowledge that that is probably the most EFFECTIVE way to learn wisdom....

- Ant Farm

I have 5 rabbits indoors, one of which is a buck.
I'm using TSC cages, because the price is right.

The main 'sanitation' issues I have are from spilled hay and when does decide to be hormonal and dig in their litter boxes, which does fling litter everywhere. :roll:

I'm not sure that the other system would worth so much more, imo. I believe it uses a gutter system? I thought that would be the way to go, but I've heard reports that it actually increases odor. I guess it would be a lot faster to clean, especially with a lot of rabbits, but the smell might be worse and that's a big consideration for indoor rabbits.

I was going to build a pvc hanging system, until I was in the store pricing things out. The biggest hurdle was the fact that I want everything on wheels. Yeah, go ahead and try to figure out how to put wheels on a pvc frame :p I finally DID figure it out, but the added expense was going to be about $50/stack. :( unacceptable.

I finally ended up simply adding a couple of 2x4s to each stack and screwing wheels onto that. Works great and added a little less than $10 per stack. :)

My total cost for two 30x36 cages (I might cut them down to 24x36) per stack, with drop pans and rollers is maybe $100. Works out to about $50/rabbit. This would be less if I used the smaller cages and a 3 stack.

Isn't the Rabbitech system designed to tie into a drainage system? If your room doesn't have that already, I would think that would be a huge undertaking.

If you plan on using buckets or something to collect waste, you might want to get some detailed measurements from them first, because the pics I have seen have the drain awfully low and I am not sure you could get much under there.

Susie570":3ea4lgbl said:
I have 5 rabbits indoors, one of which is a buck.
I'm using TSC cages, because the price is right.

The main 'sanitation' issues I have are from spilled hay and when does decide to be hormonal and dig in their litter boxes, which does fling litter everywhere. :roll:

I'm not sure that the other system would worth so much more, imo. I believe it uses a gutter system? I thought that would be the way to go, but I've heard reports that it actually increases odor. I guess it would be a lot faster to clean, especially with a lot of rabbits, but the smell might be worse and that's a big consideration for indoor rabbits.

I was going to build a pvc hanging system, until I was in the store pricing things out. The biggest hurdle was the fact that I want everything on wheels. Yeah, go ahead and try to figure out how to put wheels on a pvc frame :p I finally DID figure it out, but the added expense was going to be about $50/stack. :( unacceptable.

I finally ended up simply adding a couple of 2x4s to each stack and screwing wheels onto that. Works great and added a little less than $10 per stack. :)

My total cost for two 30x36 cages (I might cut them down to 24x36) per stack, with drop pans and rollers is maybe $100. Works out to about $50/rabbit. This would be less if I used the smaller cages and a 3 stack.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I hadn't thought about potential INCREASED odor, but I could see how that might happen. Some things to think about.

Marinea":3ea4lgbl said:
Isn't the Rabbitech system designed to tie into a drainage system? If your room doesn't have that already, I would think that would be a huge undertaking.

If you plan on using buckets or something to collect waste, you might want to get some detailed measurements from them first, because the pics I have seen have the drain awfully low and I am not sure you could get much under there.

There is an attachment to use if there isn't a drainage system to allow you to divert. I need to get more information to see what would actually be involved. Unfortunately, reviews of this system seem to be thin on the ground.

I'm pretty set on doing this indoors at this point, but perhaps just with stackable crates with trays - maybe Rabbitech is over the top? Good thing I have a little while before I have to decide.

Keep the opinions coming. It helps me process!!! :popcorn:

There was one other VERY important thing I wanted to mention. It's something I worry about as well.

You said that you deal with high temps in your area (we do, sometimes) and yes that's a GREAT reason to keep your rabbits indoors. HOWEVER, have a backup plan in place. If your power goes out, or your A/C stops working for whatever reason, the temp could build up pretty quickly in that room. I want to install an 'intelligent' monitoring system, to send me an alert if the temp ever goes above a certain point (not terribly expensive and it would tie into my security monitoring system I'm getting).

In addition, if your rabbits are used to a nice 'A/C' environment, they will have a harder than normal time dealing with a sudden heat wave if they should need to do so. I keep my A/C on 75. I don't want to provide TOO much 'comfort'. That seems to keep it below 80 degrees in the rabbit area, plus I keep my ceiling fans on constantly.

I'm not sure what I will do if the power ever goes out on me during a heat wave. This actually happened when we were hit with a 'derechio' (however it's spelled) a few years ago in the heat of summer. People were without power for a week or more and it was 90+ outside. That would be devastating to the rabbits.

Just stuff to think about.

Susie570":3iscfjnk said:
There was one other VERY important thing I wanted to mention. It's something I worry about as well.

You said that you deal with high temps in your area (we do, sometimes) and yes that's a GREAT reason to keep your rabbits indoors. HOWEVER, have a backup plan in place. If your power goes out, or your A/C stops working for whatever reason, the temp could build up pretty quickly in that room. I want to install an 'intelligent' monitoring system, to send me an alert if the temp ever goes above a certain point (not terribly expensive and it would tie into my security monitoring system I'm getting).

In addition, if your rabbits are used to a nice 'A/C' environment, they will have a harder than normal time dealing with a sudden heat wave if they should need to do so. I keep my A/C on 75. I don't want to provide TOO much 'comfort'. That seems to keep it below 80 degrees in the rabbit area, plus I keep my ceiling fans on constantly.

I'm not sure what I will do if the power ever goes out on me during a heat wave. This actually happened when we were hit with a 'derechio' (however it's spelled) a few years ago in the heat of summer. People were without power for a week or more and it was 90+ outside. That would be devastating to the rabbits.

Just stuff to think about.

Interesting that you bring this up. The reason it ISN'T human living space is that when the do-it-yourself addition was added by a previous owner, it resulted in the HVAC ductwork being too long a stretch from the main unit. So while it is definitely "climate controlled", it gets 5 or 10 degrees hotter than what the thermostat is set to for the rest of the house. Should be fine (esp. compared to being outside), but I will take some temps this summer. (And you're right, having a contingency plan is important... Thanks for reminding me.)

I keep cycling around in my mind over this. Thank goodness I have some time to decide (and ask questions)!!!

- Ant Farm

Something I've wondered about the rabbittech systems is how do they handle hay? I know my buns waste hay even with a hay feeder. Would it clog up the system? Otherwise I love the looks of it.

alforddm":nnvdswba said:
Something I've wondered about the rabbittech systems is how do they handle hay? I know my buns waste hay even with a hay feeder. Would it clog up the system? Otherwise I love the looks of it.

I've wondered if they are based on a pellet only system :roll:
Wouldn't that make everything all nice and sanitary? :lol:

skysthelimit":3hqhpcts said:
http://kelfla.blogspot.com/2013/04/kw-cages-rabbitech-system-review.html

Some people had a big problem, but this person seems not to mind.

I saw that. Unfortunately it's about the only review of Rabbitech I can find (except one very brief one on the KW website). If anyone knows of or can refer me to any other reviews of Rabbitech, that would be awesome (if they exist).

- Ant Farm

Latest posts

Back