keeping cool in heat/humidity

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazza

Reaction score
it's the dog days of summer now and the rabbits have been doing pretty okay, but lately they've really been feeling the heat, and i was wondering if there was anything else i could possibly do to help them out.

i live outside of houston, so it's hot, and it's incredibly humid, which i think is proving to be most of the problem. it's in the mid-high 90s during the day, and while usually it drops below 80 at night, the past few days it's been staring around 83 at night and i can tell the rabbits aren't enjoying it.

my rabbits are in wire cages underneath a wooden shade structure:
6BYDBrp.jpg

a bit has changed since this photo was taken, however - the right side has a cover over it, and those cages are up on blocks like the rest. eventually we want to cover the sides and maybe the front with shadecloth to block sun but still allow airflow across the cages. there is a box fan to help with this, but it does not quite reach all the way across - we also plan to get more fans. the entire setup is in the only corner of the property that has shade, but only in the morning and late afternoon - from about noon to 5pm there is no shade from the trees. but anywhere else in the yard and there would be no shade at all, so i feel like this is the best place for them. if it is really hot i will mist them down a little bit, but with it being so humid i'm not really sure if i am doing much more than making them damp. they also get frozen bottles during the hottest part of the day, but not all of them want to lay near the bottles - most of them push them away or move to the other side of the cage when i put them in. i had put tiles in their cages to lay on, but they just wanted to pee on them and they all got mats in their fur from the pee soaking into them, so i took them out. i check on them multiple times a day and when it's late afternoon they all look pretty stressed - not all have their heads back but they're all laid out and some are laying on their sides and it freaks me out because from a distance they look dead. i purposefully did not breed during the hot part of the year but i was given some young kits several weeks ago and i've already lost two, despite my best efforts.

what else can i do? things like swamp coolers don't seem like they'd work as it's so humid and misting doesn't seem to help me much, and i can sweat! i only have space indoors to bring kits in, so i really need a good way to keep the adults cool outside.

First thing I would recommend: put a second layer of shade on the cages. That roof will get hot in the sun, and it will radiate that heat downwards. A second layer with air circulating in between increases the effect of shade.

I use white plastic sheets (get them for free at work) as primary shade, and the hutch roofs as second, but parasols or anything will work.

Also, look at this thread:
post305956.html#p305956

When they have something cool to lie on they are much better off.

we plan on putting proper shelving above the cages to store all the stuff very soon - they'd likely be wide enough to cover the cages entirely, or at least 90% of them. it wouldn't be difficult to add another baffle underneath the roof, but would the shelves get the job done?

also, like i had said before, they did have tiles to lay on but they would pee on them and it would soak into their fur and cause mats, and i was worried about flystrike as well. some groomed themselves better than others - my mini lop buck in particular rarely seems to clean himself so he has been shedding mats for months from laying on tiles and looks horrendous. i had looked into getting them rubber bowls or crocks to put ice water in, but usually when water is given to them in anything but a bottle or their automatic system, all they do is step in it and dump it out. i know it would help them though if they would leave them alone. it's also hard to find them cheap enough to not break the bank buying 20 of them.

It can get hot here in Ontario in the daytime -- and humid -- but we don't have to deal with nighttime temperatures like yours. A "bad" night is around 75 degrees F. and we don't get too many nights like that, I'm happy to say.

Still, one of the best things I have found to cool bunnies is a box fan combined with spraying/misting their ears with cool water in a spray bottle. I know rabbits don't sweat, but the veins in their ears dilate to dissipate heat. The spraying and fan enhance this.

Some rabbits love being misted, but for the ones who shy away, try to aim above their heads and let a fine mist settle on their ears. It's a bit of work, but anything for the buns, right?

I don't know how effective this might be in your climate, but it certainly helps here!

Last summer was so hot that everything failed. Mister plus fans, ice bottles, misting ears. I ended up putting all my hutches right on the ground with a tiny 3 inch lift to keep them out of the poo. That did the trick. I also strung up several tarps to keep every bit of sun off of them. Looked like rabbit tent city but thankfully the neighbors were kind enough to not comment on it.

I have my rabbitry in constant shade and where there is normally a breeze always blowing. But on those days that hit over 90 degrees I break out the frozen water balloons (take the outside off first of course) frozen ceramic tiles as well as fans to help with air circulation. I also breed for the best heat tolerance...since living in NW Louisiana sucks when it comes to the humidity.

Latest posts

Back