Keep or eat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
I am wondering if I should keep my buck. He lunges at me quite a bit and bit me twice he also has this weird thing on his nose and his lip. I think that he got into a fight with a other rabbit.
What do you think.

Attachments

• E08A1D08-4EF9-4DC6-A12A-F6D604EE128D.jpeg
    E08A1D08-4EF9-4DC6-A12A-F6D604EE128D.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 26
I would not keep if I had a choice because I don't like aggressive rabbits.

Could the aggressiveness be passed on to his babies or is it that you don’t want to have to handle a aggressive. In other words could I let him father a other litter or would you get a other buck before having to get a doe pregnant.

Could the aggressiveness be passed on to his babies or is it that you don’t want to have to handle a aggressive. In other words could I let him father a other litter or would you get a other buck before having to get a doe pregnant.
He looks delicious. Yes the aggressiveness could be passed on but that wouldn't stop me from trying. Ive had some really sweet rabbits come from an aggressive doe (in the end we culled her because getting bit and attacked is not worth it) . I would probably breed him once more and then cull him. You can use his cage to evaluate the Juniors as they grow up.

BTW is he aggressive because he's hungry? When I get bitten it's usually because I was a few hours late with their food.

I don’t think so because usually he doesn’t eat all the food. Could he be lonely? I think he saw better when he was with lily.

Its a tough call. You could try breeding him and see if that tones his aggressive behavior down. Maybe he's just... frustrated. But, if it continues I'd cull. And watch his offspring for signs of aggression because it can be passed down in some cases. Good luck!

There is a problem with that. I only have one doe and she has babies that are two weeks old so I can’t rebreed her.

it depends on what you want to deal with. to Me if you have children who handle the rabbits it is to much of a risk to keep him around as he can take a finger off. I only kept my one doe who was a flemsih giant/checkered giant cross around because I didn't have children and I only used her babies for meat she made great meat babies and once me and her understood one another she was okay with me. I had to use a long stick with her to grab her so i just pinned her to the cage wall and once she was calm i grabbed her But I my self will never have a aggressive doe or buck doesn't matter if they make great meat babies or color I will butcher it right out.

I personally wouldn't want to possibly pass on aggressive traits to offspring...especially if I'm breeding to sell as pets or something. So this is a tough call...you said that you thought he may have gotten in a fight with another rabbit is this buck housed separately? Is he a new rabbit to you? I have had occasional lunges at feeding time..if I'm late to feed, but this is mostly a charge for show not what I would consider to be true aggression traits. Just attitude over wanting food. But, I think this decision is more of a how much aggression are you willing to deal with and if you can provide proper care for him due to the aggression. Good luck and hopefully he calms down for you.

I really don’t know if he even got into a fight with a other buck or doe as far as I know the thing on his lip and nose could be a birth defect but with his lunging I figured that it made sense if he got into a fight.

Basically, if he got into a fight with a other rabbit he was with his original owner so I can only guess.

If he's aggressive, you could wear gloves when you feed or pet him, or train him. When he bites you, bop him on the forehead. Not hard enough that it hurts, but to where he knows you're the boss.

I don't tend to hit rabbits, I've found that can make them more jumpy. I prefer the grab scruff and pin down method. I've had does who were aggressive during puberty, but my bucks were always pretty mellow. Gloves and long sleeves make it much nicer to deal with, but not dealing with it is even better. If he's new he may settle down.

Yes I also find that bucks are much more mellow than my does and mine are not small...I think he is probably just adjusting to new place and you must also consider possibility of him not being socialized or treated well at other owners...Give him time and be patient..visit with him often and let him understand you are a positive experience

Latest posts

Back