just for fun, silver fox and californian cross

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
because I am a genetic admirer and love the nestbox colors game :p I wonder what yall think I will get from my future breedings.
*the doe(s) are chocolate pointed Californian.
*my buck is black silver fox who may carry one steel gene, I didn't get anything definitive from my mutt test breeding with my past rabbits. he is very good lines and full pedigree. I have to dig out his pedigree but I wanna say there was one white GG grandparent, two blues in there somewhere, and the rest blacks. and from what I saw of the breeders postings (he is all the way from maine) the breeder was pretty serious about breeding out steels. but was ok with whites but kept certain lines completely free of the lines that had whites come up.
*and I am undecided on keeping the best one of the three cali bucks. if I do it will probably be test round to see if the full cali litters did better than the cross litters. because I don't want two bucks when I only have one or two does!

so given what I know about genetics, which isn't anything great lol, I am guessing I can expect: himi, rew, black. unsure about anything else.

The first cross between the SF and Cali will probably give you black. Then the fun begins, finding out if the SF carries white, and what the himi carries on the other side. Mine is from Cal/Sable breeding so he is Cal-Cal, with no white gene. Maybe you will get something interesting. As long as you are breeding these two together and the Cal is not a Shagouti, you will never see the Steel.

I have a ruby eyed white with grey points that I crossed with a Silver fox buck. We got 1 solid black kit and 2 "liver"colored (greyish brown). Hope to see the silver develop on the black and the other two were a nice surprise. This is their first breeding.

Latest posts

Back