Juno eye woes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curiouslagomorph

Reaction score

We've had a rocky week,

went to Leicester to buy a tri mini rex buck and my aunt got a dalmatian mini rex buck.

Put my black mini rex to my aunt's buck and surprise... He had conjunctivitis and gave it to her!
Took my Juno up the vets and one super expensive check later, she's been having eye drops (one each eye, three daily).
She's two weeks pregnant and very very grumpy, but needs her meds.
Obviously, doesn't appreciate being messed with and I've been bit to peices. My poor arms, I'm smothered in bruises.

Her eye is on the mend thankfully and only one more day of being attacked by her XD as last dose is tomorrow.

One thing I'm concerned about is appetite. She's not eating her pellets at all (and this doe demolishes them usually). Vet surprisingly wasn't concerned when told and she is eating hay and greens (greens given sparingly).

How would I get her appetite back for pellets?

We've had a rocky week,

went to Leicester to buy a tri mini rex buck and my aunt got a dalmatian mini rex buck.

Put my black mini rex to my aunt's buck and surprise... He had conjunctivitis and gave it to her!
Took my Juno up the vets and one super expensive check later, she's been having eye drops (one each eye, three daily).
She's two weeks pregnant and very very grumpy, but needs her meds.
Obviously, doesn't appreciate being messed with and I've been bit to peices. My poor arms, I'm smothered in bruises.

Her eye is on the mend thankfully and only one more day of being attacked by her XD as last dose is tomorrow.

One thing I'm concerned about is appetite. She's not eating her pellets at all (and this doe demolishes them usually). Vet surprisingly wasn't concerned when told and she is eating hay and greens (greens given sparingly).

How would I get her appetite back for pellets?
I've found Terramycin ointment to be the most effective treatment for conjunctivitis in rabbits. It seems that you can buy it from Amazon.uk and have it shipped to Leicester, but I don't know where you actually live...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CUKUI-Dog-...=1681842528&sprefix=terramycin,aps,243&sr=8-21681842541320.png
For eye infections I've never needed a vet, but maybe you aren't allowed to buy Terramycin without a prescription where you live? If that's the case, I'd keep whatever is left of the drops you got for her covered tightly, in a cool dark place, in case they're needed again (to avoid another super expensive vet check!).

You're right to be concerned when a rabbit suddenly changes its eating habits, but if she is still drinking and eating hay and greens, she probably won't die; rabbits can certainly survive on hay and greens. In fact when my rabbits go off their feed, that is exactly what I do - offer them anything and everything and they choose what they want. Sometimes when their gut biota gets out of whack, they seem to know what they need to reestablish balance. Parsley can act as an appetite stimulant, but it sounds like her appetite is fine, she's just not wanting pellets. It probably would not hurt to offer her some probiotics like Benebac. You have to get it into her mouth - more struggles, perhaps - but rabbits usually like the taste, and after they've tried it will lick it up themselves.

1681842742421.png

If it's not available in a store near you, Amazon also sells and ships it to the UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PetAg-Bene...qid=1681842729&sprefix=benebac,aps,338&sr=8-2
Good luck and God bless!

I've found Terramycin ointment to be the most effective treatment for conjunctivitis in rabbits. It seems that you can buy it from Amazon.uk and have it shipped to Leicester, but I don't know where you actually live...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CUKUI-Dog-...=1681842528&sprefix=terramycin,aps,243&sr=8-2View attachment 35421
For eye infections I've never needed a vet, but maybe you aren't allowed to buy Terramycin without a prescription where you live? If that's the case, I'd keep whatever is left of the drops you got for her covered tightly, in a cool dark place, in case they're needed again (to avoid another super expensive vet check!).

You're right to be concerned when a rabbit suddenly changes its eating habits, but if she is still drinking and eating hay and greens, she probably won't die; rabbits can certainly survive on hay and greens. In fact when my rabbits go off their feed, that is exactly what I do - offer them anything and everything and they choose what they want. Sometimes when their gut biota gets out of whack, they seem to know what they need to reestablish balance. Parsley can act as an appetite stimulant, but it sounds like her appetite is fine, she's just not wanting pellets. It probably would not hurt to offer her some probiotics like Benebac. You have to get it into her mouth - more struggles, perhaps - but rabbits usually like the taste, and after they've tried it will lick it up themselves.

View attachment 35422

If it's not available in a store near you, Amazon also sells and ships it to the UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PetAg-Bene...qid=1681842729&sprefix=benebac,aps,338&sr=8-2
Good luck and God bless!
The expense of the vet wasn't the meds thankfully. It was the fact I needed a health check I believe.
I don't live in leicester, I travelled hour and half to get them for him.

thank you for the help!

Back