Juice Pulp?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBC

Reaction score
Two of my family members juice every day as part of their raw diet. Right now they are just throwing away all the juice pulp each day. Can I use the pulp for rabbit feed? One of the varieties they do is apple/beet/carrot/ginger with lime...I'm guessing that one would be too high in sugar? The other one they do though is green apple/kale/cucumber/celery/ginger with lemon. Would the second one be okay to feed? Are all the ingredients rabbit safe? I'm trying to get the rabbits off of pellets as much as I can. And the fact that the juice pulp is free would make it a very budget friendly addition to their diet! ;)

I'd think it wouldn't be good for rabbit FEED except perhaps in place of some of the hay. The pulp is the fiber of the fruit/veggies with most of the liquids and carbs pulled out for the drink. I do primarily low carb so I stay FAR away from juices of any sort, especially the ones my Mother tries to feed me out of her juicer. *wrinkles nose*

If you were going to add it to their diet I would do some analysis of it first, I'm sure since juicing is such a fad these days you can get all sorts of information on how much juice you can get from an apple per lb, then find out how many carbs are in XX amount of juice. Then do a small amount of conversion to determine, roughly, the carbs still left in the leftover pulp per lb. Should be pretty simple to do with google these days and a piece of paper. :)

Google should also help you with the toxicity of any ingredients but nothing you listed is making any alarms go off for me.

I'd think it wouldn't be good for rabbit FEED except perhaps in place of some of the hay.
Sorry, wasn't clear on that...it will only be part of their diet. I was hoping to be able to add it in with their fodder and hay so I won't have to feed as much commercial feed. They act like they're starving when I just give them the fodder so I've been still feeding them their pellets along with fodder.

You may enjoy your fruits and veggies in a delightful, easy-to-drink form by juicing them. Skins, peels, and pulp separate from the juice during the juicing process and are discarded. Instead of tossing these scraps away, put them in the compost bin in your garden. This fibrous pulp decomposes quickly and provides a range of nutrients to your compost. Add the scraps to your garden once they've turned into compost for healthy soil and high-yielding plants.

Hi, I got a juicer at a thrift store, and have been using the pulp to make little rabbit treats, forming the pulp into squares and drying them. My rabbits gobble them right up :)
I like your idea. I used to bake some little rabbit treats using the fines at the bottom of the feed bags. The only problem was that the house smelled strongly of rabbit feed afterwards! Your treats don't have that problem, though!

(at least at mine) Walmart has a section of treats for animals like rabbits, birds, and Hampsters

Back