Johnnys Select seed-- Sucraseed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
I got an answer back today, finally, on the endophyte status of the Sucraseed Sweet Silage mix that I ordered from Johnnys-- according to the supplier, the seed is endophyte free-- so I won't have to watch the grazing height or stage of growth when permitting the rabbits to have it.

Also, they are going to check into getting the packaging labeled as 'endophyte free'- the customer care person was totally unaware that the label and catalog had not included that information.

Amazing what asking the right question of the right person can accomlish..

I don't understand what the endophytes have to do with allowing rabbits access at certain heights. This is totally new for me.

Thk thk thk <--- this is me, picking your brain. :D

Miss M":3dtuohrl said:
I don't understand what the endophytes have to do with allowing rabbits access at certain heights. This is totally new for me.

Thk thk thk <--- this is me, picking your brain. :D

Endophytes are fungi that sort of co-exist on some grasses, especially ryes and tall fescue. They are a source of the mycotoxins that affect anmals While on the plant, they actuallyu help the grasses resiste insect damage, and many lawn grasses are pruprosely infected with endophytes in order to help lawn grasses look good all year.

Now, here is the rub-- the endophytes live on the seedheads, and at the base of the plants. So, one must be carefull to not let pastures get grazed to the ground, and one must harvest for ahy, or graze, before the flowering stage is reached.

Think *rye staggers* in cattle, sheep, goats, etc...

remember all those dog food recalls based on mycotoxins/ corn mold? Tose were endophytes!!!

There is a product one can feed, called "mycosorb' that will absorb toxins from the animals gut, BUT, I have not been able to find a US supplier-- all the nformation I am getting is out of the UK.

Oh no, I planted a whole bunch of ryegrass from different sources for the seed. I've been feeding to my rabbits all summer long without paying any attention to the stage of the grass- I also fed it to fairly young rabbits. I read something about endophytes and staggers but just assumed rabbits don't get it. Also, in New Zealand they say ryegrass is the number one pasture grass planted so I figured if it is a big problem then people wouldn't plant it so much. How likely is it that my rabbits could get sick from it?

Squidpop-- if you are living in an area where rye is a 'common' pasture grass, you should be perfectly fine-- the endophyte issue crops up here because rye is commonly used as a lawn grass, so is purposely infected with the endophyte molds to help peoples lawns look 'pretty' all summer. I would say this, if you haven't had an issue, then there probably is no issue with the ryes you have growing.
The toxicicity shows up as neurological issues, drooling, unable to swallow, balance, poor gait, falling over. It can cause abortions, failure to concieve, death.
AS I explained to the customer care person, I have a manual here of over 300 grasses that grow in this area of the country--and most of them are so similar in appearance at different stages of growth, I want to make sure I am not accidently planting something I need to be super careful with. I may not be making a profit off my rabbits, but I don't need to be poisoning them, either!

Thanks for the answer. Some of the grass I planted was lawn grass- but most of it was pasture grass. Now at least I know not to plant anymore of the lawn grass. I was just getting ready to buy more seed so this time I'm going to the farm store and get the good brand of pasture ryegrass. Thanks

Latest posts

Back