Japanese Hawkweed - Youngia japonica

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess what I'll do is take my least favorite bun and do a trial run! Done it before. lol Sometimes that's the best way to try out a possibly healthy delicious plant.

I couldn't find any information about rabbits eating it, but it is probably safe. In my experience, most plants that people can eat raw are also safe for rabbits. I do hope, Dayna, that if you test it on a rabbit you will report the outcome in this thread.

We have both the yellow and the smaller orange kinds of hawkweed here. Last fall my rabbits were all on 80% forage and 20% hay. I included hawkweed in their forage and they had no problems with it. I spent a great deal of the summer researching every single local weed I could find and annotating whether it is edible. I can't say "yeah, it's 100% safe-go for it." But I can tell you my rabbits liked it and suffered no ill effects.

I put a flag next to the only remaining orange hawkweed flower in my yard back in October. I was waiting for a seed head to develop so that I could save it and replant where I wanted in the spring. Right before the gorgeous flaming orange was spent, my son picked it. :( I almost cried.

It looks like rabbit food to me.

Totally test it out, and if you don't, I will on some of my older growouts this summer. I usually have some between 14 and 16 weeks hanging around just growing fur. Those make good test buns.

Back