It's done now

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CameronW

Reaction score
Well my brother just got finished culling the baby mini lops that had pasturella and I had him cull another mixed breed that started to get a snotty nose. It was really hard to see them go. :cry: Do you think it would be safe to bring in new rabbits if they were in the front of the barn and the other rabbits are in the back of the barn? there would be 30 feet or so between them and the new ones would be by the door where more fresh air comes in. Or I could always clean up the old goat barn and put the new ones in there if that would be better. I only ask because i have been looking for a broken buck for awhile and I finally found one close to me that I can afford. Thanks

Cameron, sorry for the necessity of putting them down :grouphug2:

As for housing for the new stock in your barn, in the winter when the doors are mostly closed, and only feet away from where the ill stock were held ... well, I would suggest that you clean, clean, clean EVERYTHING the ill rabbits came in contact with: cages, feeders, waterers, etc. with amonia/water and let dry ... in the sun for an afternoon if you can. Then, douse the soil where the cages were with diatomacious earth or lime dust or seven dust to be absolutely sure the pathogens are killed.

Then, when you bring your new stock in and get them set up, you want to either bring in the EXACT same feed the breeder was feeding, or transition them to your feed by putting them on oats and grass hay for the first couple of days to help them settle down without adding in shock from changing feeds. Then, start adding in pellets at 1/4 cup increments ... one 1/4 cup in the morning, one in the evening, one the next morning then 2 that evening, etc. This will give you an opportunity to observe them closely and if you see ANY distress, seperate and quarantine that one. Hopefully, it will simply be an allergic reaction to the new environment. Even occassional sneezing is not necessarily pasteurella, but certainly warrants close observation and quarantine until the cause is determined.

I wish you all the luck in the new stock!!!

So sorry you had to do that, but in the long run you made the best decision. (((hugs)))

Sorry about that. This seems to have been a rough year. I wonder if it had to do with the long, dry summer?

Boy, we all seem to be having a run of bad luck. :cry:

I have Pasteurella in my herd too, and I am on tenterhooks waiting for another rabbit to develop symptoms.

I am sorry you had to cull babies. It is so sad when they have had so little time. :(

I would recommend putting the new stock in the goat barn for quarantine. I recently read that Pasteurella transmission is likeliest through direct contact, but that isn't the only disease we need to worry about- just the one that is most dreaded.

Latest posts

Back