Is this right?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
In different forum a newbie posted that she had gotten some new rabbits, about 3-4 months old, that had all been housed together and she wanted to know how early they would be breeding.

I told her they tend to start breeding around 3 months, and I got smacked down by another breeder who said NO larger breeds don't breed until 9 months or older and that they aren't ready to be bred at 3 months.

I didn't mean that they SHOULD be bred at 3 months, but that they certainly will if left to their own devices.

Isn't that true? I thought that they would breed that early if they're left together. I definately wasn't suggesting she breed them that early intentionally.

Yes, it's true. Left to their own devices they can breed that early. I don't think that it's common for a doe to take that early, but it can and at some point will happen. I would just explain what you meant to her the way you did here.

I would also disagree with her that the older breeds don't breed until 9 months. Some certainly wait that long to breed their stock, but not all of us do. I start between 4 1/2 and 5 months, as long as they are 8 lbs.

It is my understanding thatthe sooner the factory is put to use, the sooner it ramps up for the best production. Idonot advocate breeding an animal that is not physically ready to handle a pregnancy-- but heck by mid=summer, spring born cottontails are having their own litters!!! Same is true of kittens..

Caitlin,
you are correct, though it is not the best thing to do.
When rabbits of mixed sexes are housed together it must be expected,
it's what Rabbits do! I would agree that it would be more prudent
to allow the rabbit to at the very least, reach it's Senior Weight.
Sometimes the situation does not allow this.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

You are perfectly correct, Caitlin, that kept together they will start breeding early. And also correct that it isn't desirable too early. Sounds to me as though the person who yelled at you either didn't read thoroughly or misunderstood. Happens a lot... all you can do is correct their misimpression.

I just found a kit from a nearly 4month old doe. I had the buck, her mother, and her in a pen together and pulled the buck shortly before she turned 3 months thinking that was plenty of time. Yesterday I saw fur. This thread reminded me to check that fur. Sure enough 2 kits, 1 still born. From now on I separate does and bucks at 2months cause she wasn't even quite 3 months.

Back