Is this right?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skykomish

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn the genetics of color inheritance in Rex, and I'm pretty sure I have the 2 main genes down but I wanted to confirm that-

BB = black, not carrying blue; Bb= black, carrying blue, bb = blue
DD = not diluted, Dd, not diluted, carrying diluted, dd = diluted

(not sure if these are right:)
OO = otter, Oo = otter, carrying not otter, oo = not otter
SS = broken, Ss = broken ,carrying not broken, ss = not broken

Ok so here are the breedings-

"Bilbo" Broken Black Otter, Bb, D?, OO, SS, out of black X broken black otter, has produced blue, black, broken black, black otter, and gold tipped steel (this is only 1 litter)
"Chanel" Lilac, bb, dd, oo, ss, out of black x black, has produced blue, broken blue, blue otter, black
"Arwen" blue otter, Bb, Dd, Oo, ss out of black otter x Chanel (lilac), unproven doe
Baby kit litter, B?, D?, some O? some oo, some S?, some ss, black/broken black otter and black otter, out of Bilbo and Chanel

So if I breed a buck from the baby kit litter to Arwen I can get: lilac, chocolate, black, blue all in broken (if it is one of the broken kits) or solid, all in otter or not otter, right?

~~

I also have a blue buck out of 2 blues I could breed to anyone, but he is totally unproven so I don't know if he's carrying dilute. I'm trying to get lilac and chocolate otter preferably broken.

~~
My friend has a chin buck, and I just noticed one of my pedigrees has a lynx in it, way back (3rd gen). Is there any possibility that gene is still around and we could get decent chins or lynx out of the pairing?

I've got to run, so I'll just do a quick comment here:

'B' has nothing to do with blue. 'B' determines either black or chocolate in the rabbit coat. So 'BB' is black-black, 'Bb' is a black rabbit carrying chocolate and 'bb' is a chocolate rabbit.

Yes, 'D' controls full colour or dilution, but it works WITH 'B' to produce blue (or lilac), so 'BBdd' or 'Bbdd' is a blue (black rabbit whose black colour has been diluted to blue)

Otter is not a gene in itself, it is one of several possibilities on the 'A' locus. Where 'A' is agouti, 'at' is otter and 'a' is self. To determine what you actually see, depends on which of the A's are combined with which. The dominance heirarchy goes A, at, a where you need 'atat' or 'ata' to get the otter phenotype.

Broken is 'En' and you only need one allele to get a broken rabbit. Two ('EnEn') will give you a "charlie" which is a rabbit that is almost entirely white with only a few spots of colour. A good quality broken needs to have between 10-50% colour, so less than 10% is probably a "charlie" who has 'EnEn'. A solid rabbit is 'enen'

So a broken black otter is at-,B-,Enen where '-' could be 'at' or 'a' and 'B' or 'b'
A blue otter is at-,B-,dd,enen
A lilac is aa,bb,dd,enen

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhh

me no get any of this - maybe that should be my summer project

I actually got an a in genetics in a university course but rabbit colours are killing me (not understanding the theory - but figuring out how two different codes give you a rabbit the same freakign colour)

arghhhhh

Ok start with this... There are only TWO colours in rabbits... black and brown (chcolate) Black is alway dominant over chocolate.Other than that everything that applies to black ie dilute/ patterns/shading also applies the same way to chocolate.:)

Back