Is this Pasteurella?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsrabbits

Reaction score
We raise only a few kits each year for 4H. This year our breeders didn’t produce so we bought from a breeder. One died within a week of joining our rabbitry. The others had running noses and matted paws so we decided to cull and replace. When we culled we took notice of the lungs. These don’t look like healthy lungs to me. Can anyone confirm?
And can we eat the meat?

Welp, they aren't healthy. But you knew that. About all I can tell (I am not a rabbit-specific disease expert at all) is that they have a respiratory disease of some kind.

As far as I know there are a large number of pathogens that can cause lungs to hemorrhage, and the rabbit to have respiratory symptoms. Most would be bacteria, and most would be localized to the respiratory tract. Bacteria of all kinds is generally killed by cooking, so depending on what the rest of the insides looked like I might eat them.

But then I have a high risk tolerance, good health insurance, and a robustly well trained immune system. I also work in the histology field, so I would trust my onsite assessment of the level of inflammation I saw and my ability to pick up on other symptoms or artifacts during harvest--can't do that in a picture.

If you have any concerns, underlying health conditions that might make you more vulnerable, or lack a decent health plan, it probably is not worth it.

Latest posts

Back